Thread: Brimcast

Map Brimcast

I originally was going to post this in with Finished Maps... but my first post with a different map received quick responses on things I should work on. That is not to say it isn't welcome! Just figure this would be a better place to start and see what I should work on with some of my newer work.

This is one of several continents within a world I am currently creating. The random contrasting brightly colored lines are suppose to be Kingdom boarders, but I feel like I could do better. This is also true with some of the hill textures on the Northern half of the map as well as labeling contrasts. I was trying to stick with a color code idea to make it easy to tell what each label was referring to. Give me the biz! Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brimcast.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	7.83 MB 
ID:	79741

Guild Artisan

Still problems with the rivers.
    The Lake Placid has 3 outlets. It should have only 1.
    The Drawt lake has no outlet. Other lakes have this problem too. While this can exist, it is a very unusual and transitory phenomenon. A lake without outlet always either finishes by drying out (if inflow < evaporation) or creates an outlet (if inflow > evaporation).
    The large river in South behaves strangely - it flows to the north and when it is in a plain only a few km from the sea in the west where it would go, it suddenly turns and crosses the whole continent going to the NE shore instead. .

The photographies of the mountains look nice but their transition towards plains is too fuzzy for my eye. It creates a Strange transitionless contrast between the featurless plains and the very strong and realistic mountains.

I know that Gothic fonts are attractive for some fantasy maps but in this case I would prefer a more sober and classic font. But this may just be my taste.

Map Brimcast Update 1

Update 1 for Brimcast.
    I started fixing the river/lake issues as well as adding some more hills. I tried breaking up the transition with some texture between the mountains and hills/plains. I want to spend more time on that to make it feel more natural but I feel it is a good start. I agree that the labels can use some attention as well. More to come...

Name:	Brimcast Update 1.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	8.09 MB 
ID:	79777
    Last edited by BeefStick; 02-02-2016 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Adding title

Map Brimcast Update 2

Little adjustments with the texture on the hills/plains. Adjusted many of the rivers to show a more natural flow from sources, lakes, outlets and river mouths. It's not quite perfect, but it is looking better in my opinion.
    Started playing with the typography to make it easier to read. Concerns? Ideas? Good or bad, I have enjoyed this project immensely!

Name:	Brimcast Update 1.2.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	8.28 MB 
ID:	79834

Guild Artisan

The rives look more natural now and the addition of hills is definitely an added value to the transition.
    There are still lakes without outlets and the southern river shouldn't do what it does. It separates S of Keld and then joins again in Longbow. This is impossible.

What would you think about softening the contrast of the forests? Right now, they look like they have too much relief to me - they seem like topography.