Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Biome placement for fantasy worlds

so ive been doing some tests using the temperature and precipitation maps azelor made for the koppen climate guide and applying mbartelsm's biome guide to it. specifically i've been testing the statement in mbartelsm's guide which states "Take your precipitation and temperature maps and recolor them according to the key below. It doesn't matter if you paint summer green or blue, as long as it's not the same as winter otherwise we will get some odd overlap because color scales are linear and the scales used for the holdrige life zones are logarithmic." specifically where it says that it does not matter which color you make your seasonal precipitation or temperature maps so long as they arnt the same color (ie they cant both be blue or cant both be green). i found this not to be true though. when merged a blue summer green winter map does not look like a green summer blue winter map whether it is temperature or precipitation. however i was willing to keep going and see if the differences in the maps ever worked themselves out. so when i reached the 2nd stage i found that the temperature maps do work out to be the same in the end except the summer blue winter green temperature map which has blue hues that dont exist in the guide. everything else though looks the same when its converted over to red. this is not the case for precipitation though. all of the hues on the precipitation maps are covered by the guide but the final results of the precipitation maps are slightly different in some areas if you use winter green summer blue as oppose to winter blue summer green. because i couldn't use the summer blue winter green temperature map i applied the summer green winter temperature map to the 2 precipitation maps and rendered biomes from them. the pattern is still fairly similar but there are slight differences the biome map with the precipitation winter blue and summer green gave me a slightly more arid map than where the precipitation map was winter green and summer blue

in the attachments below you see the first biome map coming from a winter green and summer blue precipitation map and the one below it a winter blue and summer green precipitation map

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	azelor-mbartelsm climate-biome world map copy.png 
Views:	164 
Size:	655.9 KB 
ID:	93053

Name:	azelor-mbartelsm climate-biome world map arid.png 
Views:	106 
Size:	745.7 KB 
ID:	93054

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Daniel Gimenez's Avatar
    I live in the Basque Country, as a Cartographer, you should know where it is!

Default Finally

Well hello everyone,

After much work, at least for me, I finally finished my map.
    It is not fancy or pretty, but it is good enough to give me a good approximation of the look of any place of my world.
    Maybe the only thing left is to verify the transitions and author a bit the biome placement as I guess the error now is very big; sice I did all my maps the best I could, with every handmade map the error went up, so the biomes are more accurate than if I placed the biomes only by reasoning, but I reckon there is some wiggle room to author it a bit if I put the new biomes with logic and reasoning.

I also know my map is not very original, and although it was not intentional it helped me with "accuracy" since if you have something very outlandish is more difficult to extrapolate.

So thanks to all for your help and, by any means, if you see anything wrong with the map, just tell me please! Also should anyone have any questions just PM me I shall be happy to answer.

Name:	EllieBiomes.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	112760

Name:	render.png 
Views:	63 
Size:	6.08 MB 
ID:	112761

One thing I haven't figured out yet is determining precipitation values beyond Wet, Dry, and Monsoon.

Because I was seeing mention that Holdridge Life Zones or another biome system was the "next step" after Köppen-Geiger climates for a world, I thought I'd script that up too. Output's looking pretty good to me, but let me know if anything seems glaringly off:

Name:	holdridgeTest3.png 
Views:	133 
Size:	409.1 KB 
ID:	115480

I've added the Holdridge Life Zones alternate mode to my script that's linked in Azélor's Köppen-Geiger climate thread, if anyone would like to give it a go themselves. The readme includes directions on how to use the Holdridge mode.

I have to say I like the 15-biome model you grouped the 38-ish Holdridge zones into in this tutorial mbartelsm; it makes a very nice simplification that makes the output very intelligible. Your tutorial's overview of the Holdridge system was a more enjoyable read than any of the other resources I was looking at while working on this

What did you use to make the tutorial document, actually? Is it LaTeX? It's just gorgeously put together.

Hey, I was wondering if I could get some clarification on the guide:
    - What software is this meant for?
    - In step 1, am I reading it correctly in that my Jan/July maps for temperature and precipitation will be four maps with a mixture of blue and green, as opposed to two monochrome green and two monochrome blue maps?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12