Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Strip Map that I created for my D&D campaign

Guild Member handsome_unlimited's Avatar

Love it, and to be honest I've never even seen a strip map before. There's something really elegant about it actually... I feel that a lot of the people I know who aren't good with navigating via a traditional map would find this sort of layout far more intuitive. Great stuff!

Cool.

Maybe next time a darker, sharper line for the scroll edge would make it "pop" more.

HANG ON WHOA WHOA WHOA. On closer inspection, your deserts and mountains have that "Schley-style" detail. That style that I still cannot achieve, despite my best efforts to imitate it. I must pick your brain! Please, tell me how! What sort of brushes do you use? Is it all hand-drawn or do you have some awesome way to automate it? TELL ME YOUR SECRETS

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Thanks guys! I'm glad you like it too!

@jshoer: believe it or not, I tried to make it pop a little more on the scroll edge. But I found that it made it look a little more "cartooney" than I wanted so I softened up the edges a bit and this is what it turned out like.

@Handsome Unlimited: I'm not really a talented freehand graphic artist at all. Every map I make is using Campaign Cartographer 3 or 3+. Mike Schley has done some work for the Profantasy people before, and he has a few bits of his artwork available for campaign Cartographer 3+.

I have bought every piece of software they have available on their website, including all of the Cartographers Annuals, and I've even been able to acquire one of their lifetime unlimited licenses. Normally their software is only licensed to you for 10 years, but with that license, it is for the rest of my life.

It is possible with Campaign Cartographer 3+ to load your maps in and add automated Mike Schley stuff.

So thats why I told you all of that, in case you want to go purchase their software.

However, I used multiple different brushes from a few of the Cartographers Annuals to make this but I don't believe Mike Schley's stuff was part of it. Though it does look similar.

If you do decide to buy this software, i feel I must let you know that it is based off of Fastcad software and so a lot of it may seem backwards to you if you are used to using Gimp or Photoshop or pretty much any other graphics program.

And if you want to see Mike Schley overland style on a map using Campaign Cartographer 3+, look up my thread on tiny kingdom. That is all Mike Schley art, except the text.
    Last edited by Tonnichiwa; 02-11-2016 at 09:51 PM.

Damn. One day, I'll figure out how he does it. Anyway, thanks so much for the info. I'll have a look at CC next chance I get.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

You're welcome. I'm glad I was at least able to introduce you to a new type of map you had not ever seen before.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12