Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: jshoer's workshop

Two more sketchbook maps that I hadn't uploaded yet:

This one, I wanted to represent places with a little icon of something that place was known for. I also figured I would try experimenting with caterpillar hills. In the end, I don't like it, so I stopped. (One thing I do like, though, is the compass I stole from Thomas! )
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20190120_14_55_49_Pro.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	810.8 KB 
ID:	112782

Next, four maps in one - of the same river system. I was inspired by a recent trip to the Netherlands and Belgium. As I got thinking about all the different things the waterways represent in the Low Countries - agriculture, science and engineering work, defense, and so on - I wondered how I could depict all those things.

Name:	WIN_20190120_14_55_00_Pro.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	965.8 KB 
ID:	112783

Two more sketchbook projects! First is one where I was trying to mimic the raking perspective of another map on the guild:

Name:	WIN_20190316_13_39_23_Pro.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	990.0 KB 
ID:	114243
    I think I got some cool new textures for the grasslands and the sandy beaches.

The second came about because someone approached me with a commission on a hex grid - and not having one of those in my portfolio, I realized I should give it a go! So, here's an idea for a game-style map with four different terrain types and two cities.

Name:	WIN_20190316_13_40_25_Pro.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	846.9 KB 
ID:	114244

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Both look really nice! I like how the hex map is not covered in the grid, the Y-things work pretty well! The perspective map is also really cool. The beech texture definitely works here. The beacons (lighthouses?) on the mountains are a neat touch!

Thank you! I am happy with that beach texture, I think it's one of my better ideas for the perspective view.

I have a few more maps from my sketchbook, that I haven't had a chance to post yet!

First is a map inspired by my flights over the US southwest desert: a strictly top-down view of mountains and topography.

Name:	IMG_1743.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	3.54 MB 
ID:	119174

Next up is a line art-heavy map, loosely inspired by The Dark Crystal and by some of the character sketches I've seen Ilanthar turn out recently. I plan to color this one digitally and post it again later.

Name:	IMG_1744.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	3.56 MB 
ID:	119175

I finished a third one, today, too, but decided to give it its very own thread.
    Last edited by jshoer; 12-02-2019 at 10:17 PM. Reason: replacing images with ones that aren't so dark

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

That second map is really cool. I like the 6 armed ?man? and the texture that you used for the water is really neat!

Here are some test sketches of stellar objects for potential use on a space map. I meant for a few of them to be inverted, and tried several variants. What do you think?

Name:	spaceObjects.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	2.49 MB 
ID:	125600Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spaceObjectsInv.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	2.73 MB 
ID:	125601

They look cool.
    View my website and Instagram

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345