Thread: Island of Tahl'va Topo and Polital maps

Default Island of Tahl'va Topo and Polital maps

This is a topographic and watershed map of my island of Elves. This map uses 80 foot contours instead of the 20 feet my city maps use.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tahl'va - small.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	80365
    The next map shows political borders and roads estimated to their true locations. Can you all find Varea or Stria on the political map? Anyway, if you can't, so what. They are pretty maps.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tahl'va - Map - Small.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	80364

Something to consider: often political boundaries are determined by geographic boundaries, like rivers or mountain ranges. Political control stops where the enforcement can't go.
    Selden

Again, nice work darkseed. Loving these elevations.
    Keep it up. Cheers, J.

Interesting and promising project. I would agree to selden, that the borders could be reworked because it´s more simple and cheaper to protect a river as a border than a parallel border some miles away from the river.

The black lines into water are piers or moles or something? That would mean, that they are either very large and log or that this little island has just some square miles pf area, am I wrong? Hope to see more and curious of the finished map..

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Looks to me like the borders are following mountain ridges, which is even more common than rivers in the real world. The contours look fantastic, splendid work there! The rivers seem a little too straight, might look more real with some more twisting and turning there. The grid seems to have a purpose since the scale bar follows it, but to me it says graph paper Very nice job on the topography anyway.

Actually the political map was not ready to be posted. The culture I have in development divided its territory by water sheds with the ridge lines as the actual borders. They are like self governing city states. They each trade and use the island but stand divided by family ties. The back story thus far is the island was settled by 5 major families with a free zone for those that refused authority. I'm still working on the back story, but I plan to keep the borders and make them work with the unique culture being developed for the island and it's people.