Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Silk Road Board Game

Thanks Mouse;

Here's an update, more shadow and highlight, still to add white-linework highlight and snow to mountains. Not sure if this is going to work with Gameboard's hard graphic hexes? But either way a good way to get going again on mapping. Comments welcome. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GameMap5.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	95623

Is there any way that you could do the hexes instead, Snodsy?

I mean, I can imagine so easily a soft pressed 'jigsaw piece' type appearance on your map done with a single layer of overlay shading and highlight (a bit like a grid of hexes that are only visible by the shade and light catching the edges of a very slight bevel on each hex piece) that wouldn't interfere so much with the beauty of the map itself.

Kind of like this, only not as ham-fisted as my attempt

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hex puzzle pieces.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	586.7 KB 
ID:	95628

(and if that's just a really silly suggestion feel free to have a chuckle - I know nothing whatsoever about gaming and how these things work )
    Last edited by Mouse; 05-12-2017 at 10:28 AM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think what he's going for in board game style hex movement is constrained path movement, not free movement over the whole hex grid. The hex spaces are overlayed over the artistic map as a reference. I'll try and get some more screenshots up because I have player movement working now.

Snodsy, if you want to send me a map update, I'll include it.

Sent from my m8wl using Tapatalk
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Thanks Mouse, I do really like that effect - Robbie is this anything easily done - but with the specific path hexes? Transparency on them with edge treatment? I do do this in photoshop as a layer too. I'll update the map to dropbox later. Hopefully I'll get to work on it a lot this weekend.

Thanks

Blog Entries

I can make the hexes appear any way you want...they already have a little transparency to the whole layer...I have the sprite sheet for the tilemap and I can remove or modify the fill on the cells.

Here's a screenshot showing some of the early die roll and movement functionality.

Name:	Screenshot from 2017-05-12 16-13-54.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	263.7 KB 
ID:	95646

Blog Entries

Here's two more screenshots with the new map WIP in place. Snodsy, we'll need to do some alignment work on the labels and placements of things with regards to the hexes. I assume you'd like things lined up with the hexes, but if not, we can adjust.

Also, i now have the trading dialog box listing what's for sale in a hex...will get the buy/sell stuff done soon I think. I'm basically doing one-player/one-camel logic first...then I'll expand the logic to account for turns and camels and such.

Name:	Screenshot from 2017-05-13 16-47-12.png 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	95681Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot from 2017-05-13 16-48-29.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	95682

I agree with you about the labels, Robbie. Maybe now the hexes are in place the place dots on the map itself could be deleted, and the labels adjusted as if to label the hexes, as you suggest - if Snodsy's happy with it?

This is really rocking now. Looking great, guys

Yeah I know about the labels, I've moved them for the map that I am doing that's without the hexes for now, but will do another layer that works for the hexes, thanks for calling that out though, you never know when its indented. Looking good Robbie, not as bad as I had thought it might. I'll update the Dropbox file later with the correct label placement.

I cannot wait to see the app ! Marvelous map !

Little late for the party, don't know if you've already continued work since the latest update. I think I would reduce the opacity of the hexes slightly so that you can the the map through it a little better. I agree with Mouse that it would look better is you removed the icons for the cities and adjust the labels. Perhaps you should even remove the labels entirely and once the hexes are all in place get back to re-label the whole map. This may not be the nicest way to go, but it would certainly make the labels look better with the game board. From what I can see it mostly involves cities, but I have seen at lease one regional label and a couple of mountain ranges being covered by hexes.

Anyways, this is shaping up really nicely and I can't wait to see it finished. It's probably been asked before, but are you going to publish this?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast