Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: La Marche de Kanoba (WIP)

It's very nice! I particularly love the details of the mountains and pine forests. Will you add some lines to the other forests? It's always tricky to have a good transition between the two.
    Btw, I've a friend which is also a GM for Oltrée, and I may do a map for him.

Thanks Ilanthar ! Speaking of the devil, I spent my afternoon squiggling my way through the deep forests of Kanoba (my wrist hurts ...) and you can see the result below. For Oltrée, don't hesitate to give it a try, that's the most easy going RPG I've ever tried.

Now, I have to shade my mountains, riverbanks, forests ... and smooth the color transition between the two types of trees.

Feel free to tell me what you people think of this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	83706
    Last edited by ThomasR; 05-17-2016 at 12:42 PM.

Ooh, that looks quite nice thomrey
    I like the transition from deciduous to pine forest.
    Colors are nice and the pointing pine next to the mountains is interesting.
    All in all, pretty engaging work.

Yes, this is coming along very nicely indeed. One thing you might want to think about however is the color of the rivers and the color of the ground. They are both bright and don't seem to work well together in my opinion. I'd recommend either going with a darker color for the river or a darker color for the land.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I agree, some things seems a bit bright, the mountains too though maybe the shading will fix that. Looking forward to the next update.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

@ J.Edward : thanks a lot for these kind words ! Coloring was a big issue for me and I'm glad it doesn't look too bad. I guess I could smoothen the transition between the two types of forests a little bit color-wise but I'll see to it later. The transition of lifework between deciduous and evergreen might also change. Ill try to merge the two kind of trees by adding some deciduous into the evergreens and some evergreens into the deciduous (I guess won't give me too much work). When you talk about the pointing pines, to you mean these ?

Name:	Capture d’écran 2016-05-18 à 08.35.29.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	178.5 KB 
ID:	83714
    I tried this to give life to the landscape, dunno if that works well. I also did it on some hills.

@ Arsheesh : Thanks too, I noticed the brightness of the river system makes it hardly visible. I guess I'm gonna darken the landscape a bit by coloring it (right now, the background is raw) but I tried darkening the bue and it works. It's an issue I'll work at the end as I'm not yet sure I won't darken the whole map with texture layers. My biggest challenge at the moment is using terrain shadows to make the rivers pop and give the impression of terrain elevation (grasslands and hills in the forests) in order to give depth to the whole thing. I'd like to be able to do what you did on your Akaos map. I guess I'll have to study a lot as my results are pretty lousy right now.

@ Josiah : Thanks ! The shading will help sell the map and it will be a real pain. I struggled through my canopies, now I'll have to crawl in the shadow mountains ! This map teaches me a lot. I had to redo many things, many times. Next time I work on a map in this style, I'll spend way less time on it (and I'll save my canopy layer so I won't have to draw a tree again in my life !).

I hope the next update won't take as long as the last one but still, it might be a week in the making.

Thanks again for your your advices and comments, it helps a lot.

PS @ Josiah : thanks to you I've started working on a building located north of the southern forest. I'll post a first drawing and work on it soon.

I've nothing particularly to add, just that I really like where this is going and it's looking good. Interested to see your next update.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by thomrey View Post
    PS @ Josiah : thanks to you I've started working on a building located north of the southern forest. I'll post a first drawing and work on it soon.
    Thanks great! Looking forward to seeing it!!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Quote Originally Posted by thomrey View Post
    @ J.Edward : thanks a lot for these kind words ! Coloring was a big issue for me and I'm glad it doesn't look too bad. I guess I could smoothen the transition between the two types of forests a little bit color-wise but I'll see to it later. The transition of lifework between deciduous and evergreen might also change. Ill try to merge the two kind of trees by adding some deciduous into the evergreens and some evergreens into the deciduous (I guess won't give me too much work). When you talk about the pointing pines, to you mean these ?

Name:	Capture d’écran 2016-05-18 à 08.35.29.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	178.5 KB 
ID:	83714
    I tried this to give life to the landscape, dunno if that works well. I also did it on some hills.
    Yep, those were the trees I was referring to. They look good.
    I wouldn't worry too much about mixing the forest too much.
    Myself - I would just add some pines in the deciduous areas.
    The pine forests are generally thicker in real life. You usually see some pines popping up in the deciduous areas and then it goes evergreen.

I've dealt with the same problem with rivers too - where they start as one color and then change as I work and the maps colors make them look too light or too dark.
    It happens.

Thanks J, after watching some photographs of mountain forests (and a trip through Italy by train), evergreens in the deciduous is a better solution than a complete mix, more realistic. I'll double it with some light touches of darker green where I'll put the pines.

@ Chickpea : thanks, I hope I'll get where I want to take this map

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast