Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Mars Map (redone)

Thanks Smiler! I plan to do what work for this portion on the entire map.

I don't exactly recall where I found or how I choose the names, except that it had to be related to their country. The Vesterhaven Concordate being a sort of alliance between Scandinavia, Netherlands, South Africa and Indonesia, I have some swedish names. Google T says "is in good health", is that correct?
    A big thanks for your good counsels, I tried to do less 3Dish and bigger cities, and change the set for the rivers. I think it does look better.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ezmars su.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	2.41 MB 
ID:	81246

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Haha, no problem The changes are spot on, small tweaks can make a big difference sometimes! And that alliance sounds… interesting Which bit is the Google translation referring to? Östersund means "Eastern Strait", but I think you meant something else!

By Lingon
    interesting Which bit is the Google translation referring to? Östersund means "Eastern Strait", but I think you meant something else!
    Google T didn't really translate this. My mistake. Doesn't matters anyway, and Eastern Strait is fine, it's geographic at least !

Ok, some more tests. I've placed "correctly" the rivers and others elements (summits & altitudes, cities, etc.) I haven't placed all the cities yet, nor the labels and the grid lines is incomplete.

Name:	ezmars su.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	2.50 MB 
ID:	81390

Working slowly on this... I've the "base map" for a bit more than the half and I'm having hard time to do the coastlines. I think I'll have a salutary break with the Community Challenge!

Just to give you a view that I've been working on it

Name:	ezmars1.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	2.50 MB 
ID:	81903Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ezmars2.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	2.65 MB 
ID:	81904

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Oh you tease, cropping it just above Mars's best feature Those archipelagos are awesome too, though. The coastline looks great. Looking forward to seeing what you do with your part of the Guild World

Yes, this is coming along nicely Ilanthar
    I think this will be spectacular when complete.

OK, I haven't much time lately and I'm doing small progress on different projects. I just wanted to say I haven't completey abandon this one. The making of Ersïa and the Atlas award was reminders for this one.
    So, I think I'm not going to do a "gigantic" map, but different regional maps for the different parts of Mars. Here's a start with the Valles Marineris Territories (grouping the Valles Marineris, Ophir and Bosporos Counties), a colony of the American Alliance.

I used some new things and techniques I've developed for Ersïa on this. The big labels (and some other stuffs) are just place holders. Colors aren't finished...

Name:	VM territories.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	93805
    Thoughts?

Really cool project you have here Ilanthar
    I see you are using something like an hillshade for topography, it works well!

Looking at Mars maps is always fascinating - all those 'can't be natural' straight lines that run for thousands of miles, and an impossibly large volcano... but when you map it Ilanthar it literally comes to life!

Blog Entries

if you want lines

i cleaned up / repaired some old maps and remapped to simple cylindrical
    -- 1800+ to current

https://goo.gl/photos/NeoGiDq7z3KvvddS8
    Last edited by johnvanvliet; 03-19-2017 at 02:13 PM.
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast