Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Mars Map (redone)

Thanks guys!

By Francissimo
    I see you are using something like an hillshade for topography, it works well!
    That's a desaturate/contrasted combination of layers. Same "basis" as before, but with different effects.

By Mouse
    Looking at Mars maps is always fascinating - all those 'can't be natural' straight lines that run for thousands of miles, and an impossibly large volcano... but when you map it Ilanthar it literally comes to life!
    Well, I agree that Mars has very interesting features! If I find a good method, I'll have all Venus & Moon in the same setting to do...

By Johnvanvliet
    if you want lines
    i cleaned up / repaired some old maps and remapped to simple cylindrical
    -- 1600+ to current
    Thanks for the ressources. I'm gonna keep the same basis as it is very big and detailed.

I reworked it to center it more .
    Not sure about the layout... Else I keep only the Valles Marineris Territory or the whole thing. I will add some details in the bottom right, surely.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VMT.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	93838 & Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VMT fc.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	93839
    Which one do you prefer?
    I'm also thinking about adding some contour lines to indicate topography.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I'm so glad you came back to this! It's looking fantastic; the colors seem just right to me, and I think I prefer the one on the left. The other one is just too bare.

This makes me want to rework one of my oldest maps, a hand-drawn Mars map I did wayyyyyyyy long ago...

I too prefer the one on the left, unless you are planning on adding a fair amount of information to the map in terms of notes, but you could always add words in boxes of plain background if you need them over the top of the land detail on the map on the left. With the one on the right It would be difficult to fill that large blank area with notes if it turned out you didn't have enough notes to fill that space after all

This is cool, very cool. Definitely the one on the left.

Thanks a lot for the feedback, guys!

I haven't done much more on the map itself since I've lost a lot of time on different things... Among them, to do some "climatic diagrams".
    I'm probably gonna do 2 maps, this one with climatic datas, a view of New Denver and some datas about sea/air travels. Another one with population density/economic activity.

Name:	VMT 2.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	93886
    By Diamond
    This makes me want to rework one of my oldest maps, a hand-drawn Mars map I did wayyyyyyyy long ago...
    Oh, please, just do it!

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

This looks great. I really like the rather subtle colors you've put in place so far.

Thanks, Wired!

I did a bit of contour lines (in the north part), but I'm not that sure it's worth the effort, to be honest.
    I also reworked a bit the flags. All in all, just small progress...

Views:	40 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	94052

Amazing map, truly. I really like how it captures the "red planet" vibe of Mars while adding vegetation and water. You also did a great job on the flags. Are they done through a program, or completely self-made?
    I must say I also adore the climate diagrams. It seems like such a perfect feature to have for a Mars map. And they also look quite cool.

I am wondering: What scale is the map? Very curious about that.

All in all, a great job once again Ilanthar! Right now, I cannot find anything I could complain about.

Thanks, Lucifer (It feels a bit odd to say that )!

By Lucifer
    Are they done through a program, or completely self-made?
    It's self-made, but with the use of some resources.

I am wondering: What scale is the map? Very curious about that.
    Well, actually, I discovered that the scale on my old mars map is totally wrong... I added the correct one on the update.
    It's a mercator projection, so I placed a scale each 10°. Not sure it's a good idea, though.

And I'm still not completely sold on the contour lines... I added a few more data and some more cities.
    ### Latest WIP ###

Views:	40 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	94141

Just a small update with more labels.

Views:	52 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	94160