Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Castle Ravenloft 2D Battle Maps REDUX!

Blog Entries

@Bogie, I agree the grid is a little distracting on the stairs. That can be masked out later prob. As for the direction of travel, do BOTH sets look like they are going down?

How can I make the top set look like they are going UP and the bottom set look like they are going down?

Thanks in advance for any input! I may be getting to bed soon, but I'll be back at it, bright and early in the morning.

Blog Entries

Wip Stairs Test continued

Ok, last thing and I'm off to bed for the night...

I just did a quick clean up of the grid lines over the stairs and I added some temporary notes to point out the directions I am intending for the stairs to be travelling.

Any feedback would be great! Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STAIRS_TEST_03.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	566.7 KB 
ID:	81418

It is because the "up" stairs also fade to black that makes it look like its receding. It would seem to me they need to get lighter as they ascend. I'd say get rid of that fade altogether there and just choose a stair to end on and have the black fill after that.

Other than that issue I think they look pretty fantastic, as do the other changes.

Your stairs work really well - well done. I would be happy with them if I was you, I don't think you need to change them. It's obvious to me which part is going up and down. Good job.

Guild Novice

Both of the stairs in that stairwell look like they are going down. You should horizontally flip the stair overlay on the Top half (but keep the gradient as it is) so that they look like they are going different directions. That stairway spirals up counter clockwise. The shaded part of the tread should always be downward of the highlighted edge.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Hervis View Post
    Both of the stairs in that stairwell look like they are going down. You should horizontally flip the stair overlay on the Top half (but keep the gradient as it is) so that they look like they are going different directions. That stairway spirals up counter clockwise. The shaded part of the tread should always be downward of the highlighted edge.
    I see it now. They look good.

Blog Entries

Wip Stairs touch up

Hey folks! Thanks for taking the time to provide some feedback. I cranked up Photoshop and started trying some things... tell me what you think of this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STAIRS_TEST_04.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	531.2 KB 
ID:	81442

On the stairs going up (the top set of stairs) I removed the gradient and eased off the fade to black some. Does this look better? Is it easier to tell which ones are going "UP" and which ones are going "DOWN" now?

Thanks!

Guild Novice

I think that those look the best so far. Keep up the good work.

Blog Entries

Thanks Hervis! That's what I needed to hear!

Hey wthrasherb,

I made an account on this forum just because of this project, your work is looking great so far, please keep going! If there is anything people can do to help, just ask. There are a LOT of people looking for a nice workable map of Castle Ravenloft.

Just a heads up, someone posted this thread to reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/com...ild_is_making/

Which is how I know about this. Thought I'd make an account here and say how awesome your progress is!

Thanks!

WolfgangSho

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast