Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Map 05 - Lands of Nahadua [J.Ed land]

Quote Originally Posted by Tonnichiwa View Post
    Haha!...great story. Well, if you are keeping the current map then it'll be great to see how it works out.
    Thanks Tonnichiwa It's progressing. Update down below...
    Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    That was hilarious. You're a great writer.

Maybe I'll need help from the 16 Duchies before things get out of hand, I may have an alliance forming there.

P.S. I don't know why they'd bring a whole army just to sign a peace treaty...
    I used to write a lot - poetry stuff, short stories, myths, fairy tales... could never bring myself to keep at it long enough for something like a novel
    Maybe a collection of short stories, fairy tales, myths, legends and the odd novella

That was what all of the Luma stuff was for... is for... the tales of Luthien Crabnuckel - Delver, Seeker, Traveller
    But that's another story, on another world, in another time...
    Back here on Guildworld...I have an update from last night that I forgot to post.
    A bit more on the terrain. Still tweaking the tone of the shadows. Seems too dark on mountains, but just right on other areas.
    ### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guild World Map - JEd country 05 - update09.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	3.02 MB 
ID:	82080

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Loving these mountains! They look an awful lot like the kind of mountains that were drawn for the 3.5 edition of Dungeons and Dragons.

Loving these mountains! They look an awful lot like the kind of mountains that were drawn for the 3.5 edition of Dungeons and Dragons.
    Can you link to an example?
    These are a hybrid of what I did for my Middle Earth maps and another style I was using for my Luma maps.

They sort of look like the dark brown mountains in this map. And yours are obviously way better drawn.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FR style Midwater map 20.PNG 
Views:	96 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	82082  

They sort of look like the dark brown mountains in this map. And yours are obviously way better drawn.
    I see what you mean - those and mine are both variants of the old caterpillar style of mountains. Think caterpillar style but add in ridge lines.
    It's a good style for top down, as you can convey some things about the size, width, and to some degree the height of the mountains.
    Done loose, it can also be a relatively fast way to do them... well, relatively... once you start shading them and adding highlights.. well, not so fast anymore.

I'm glad you are doing them as this style has been a favorite of mine for years now. And the way you make them is much better than the way they are on the d&d maps.

Well, a fair amount has happened and I've only been gone a few hours..

This is coming along awesome! The more I look at this the more I wish I tried top down. Maybe eventually I'll redo it..

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Looks great so far J. A beauty is coming

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

With the shading the mountains are really coming together, looks awesome They seem a bit uniform in height, though?

I'm glad you are doing them as this style has been a favorite of mine for years now. And the way you make them is much better than the way they are on the d&d maps.
    Thanks Tony It sort turning into a beastly hybrid right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Well, a fair amount has happened and I've only been gone a few hours..

This is coming along awesome! The more I look at this the more I wish I tried top down. Maybe eventually I'll redo it..
    Top down is a very different animal. It's a nice animal - often maligned - but it has it's uses and benefits.
    Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Looks great so far J. A beauty is coming
    Thank you Max. It's morphing a bit from the original vision.. but I'll see where it goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lingon View Post
    With the shading the mountains are really coming together, looks awesome They seem a bit uniform in height, though?
    Yeah, that's a bit of a pitfall with this initial caterpillar style - the shading tends to follow the ridge lines.
    I'm trying to get some variation going.

I sort got going in a more hybrid direction than I intended - more of a painterly shadow/texture thing happening.
    But I sort of like it, so we'll let it roll and see where it goes. It's always a learning experience doing a challenge - I let the dog lead.
    Oh, don't worry about the type - it's in flux too.
    ### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guild World Map - JEd country 05 - update10.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	3.07 MB 
ID:	82165

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast