Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Map 05 - Lands of Nahadua [J.Ed land]

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

You know… THAT is awesome. I'm really sorry for saying so after you drew those intricate ridges, but I think it looks better with just the shading

Quote Originally Posted by Lingon View Post
    You know… THAT is awesome. I'm really sorry for saying so after you drew those intricate ridges, but I think it looks better with just the shading
    I knew you would say that
    It has to have some little detail lines though... right?
    Sure it does.
    I'll use the existing ridgelines to complete shading, then I'll turn them off to see what it looks like.
    Maybe I'll post 2 versions and see where it falls.

edit - looking at the detail needed without ridgelines... I might be finished sometime next year

Those super detailed lines and shading look amazing, but as you say it would take forever. I like them both. By the way, how do you do crazy shading like that?? It's incredible.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

I have too agree with Lingon here, the relief style looks just too good, and the level of detail (and the effect of it) is just outstanding. I personally also liked the green coloring a lot. Ofc it makes a whole different map out of it, but out of personal preference, i'd encourage you to go that way
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

It really does look great. Except that in some areas it gets visually unclear as to what they are representing up close (at the natural zoom level). Like between Rahlamin and Anahud, it can start to look like just blotches on the ground without the context of the larger map.

Edit: Ah scratch that I just saw the more detailed shading to the south and it works on that scale.
    Last edited by Falconius; 04-07-2016 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Those super detailed lines and shading look amazing, but as you say it would take forever. I like them both. By the way, how do you do crazy shading like that?? It's incredible.
    I use a very soft brush, with really low settings for opacity and flow... then I do multiple shading layers, set to multiply and/or linear burn, use a light gray [warm grey usually] and slowly build up the detail.
    It's faster and easier if I don't have to follow any preset limitations. So if I were to just sit down and start knocking out some undefined landscape, it would go fast.
    When I have to make a landscape follow a set elevation, it takes longer.
    Once I have the basics of the shading down, I'll add some stronger detail lines to give it some better distinction.
    Then I'll start into some highlight layers....

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    I have too agree with Lingon here, the relief style looks just too good, and the level of detail (and the effect of it) is just outstanding. I personally also liked the green coloring a lot. Ofc it makes a whole different map out of it, but out of personal preference, i'd encourage you to go that way
    Well, maybe it will go that way. Color will be later, if I do it, once shading is done. Maybe I'll drop several versions at the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    It really does look great. Except that in some areas it gets visually unclear as to what they are representing up close (at the natural zoom level). Like between Rahlamin and Anahud, it can start to look like just blotches on the ground without the context of the larger map.
    Yeah, I've only done the Menedue area really. All the rest just has the very basic first stage ridge shading, so those areas will look mostly unfinished - which they are atm.

So what I'm hearing (once again) is that the answer to "how did you get that amazing effect" simply comes down to "a whole lot of hard work inspired by native talent and guided by endless years of experience." Yep. And here I am, a little monkey with a stick and a pile of banananananas, trying to figure out why my scratching don't look nearly as good...

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    So what I'm hearing (once again) is that the answer to "how did you get that amazing effect" simply comes down to "a whole lot of hard work inspired by native talent and guided by endless years of experience." Yep. And here I am, a little monkey with a stick and a pile of banananananas, trying to figure out why my scratching don't look nearly as good...
    But for encouragement - I couldn't do this a year or two ago.
    I kind of stumbled onto it when trying some things in one of the challenges.
    Great things can happen in a short time - if the galaxies line up just right

I quite like bananas. Monkeys with sticks... not so much. They can get dangerous.
    But that's better than monkeys with pooh... that is... well...

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    The Fromage War... that's a cheesy name. I could only imagine the Dutch getting into a war about cheese.
    I imagine Valpolicella would be an excellent accompaniment to any cheese war

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast