Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Map 05 - Lands of Nahadua [J.Ed land]

Goodness gracious this is some impressive artwork. Subtle and restrained. Absolutely wonderful.
    Current Project: The Low Countries & Their Periphery, c. 1584

Do you like Renaissance and early modern history? Check out my Facebook page, Renaissance Netherlands with Will Phillips.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Glorious! Makes me wish I had put more detail into my neighboring mountains... Every minute spent on the shading you're doing here is worth it

Very cool J. Can't wait to see this finished. Those mountains are awesome.

Cheers,
    Tainotim

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Yep. But they look wonderful
    But.. but they take soooo long to produce. I feel like I'm getting left behind on the progress train.
    Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Definitely worth it. And the new shading matches the terrain details better.
    Agreed. It's not as fast to produce but is more consistent overall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    I only can agree with Max. It's gorgeous.
    Thanks Ilanthar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    I can only agree with Ilanthar. It's fabulous.
    Thanks Josiah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Totally worth it. The linework would be put to shame now.
    Yep. Now I can't go back to those lines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Phillips View Post
    Goodness gracious this is some impressive artwork. Subtle and restrained. Absolutely wonderful.
    Thanks so much Will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lingon View Post
    Glorious! Makes me wish I had put more detail into my neighboring mountains... Every minute spent on the shading you're doing here is worth it
    Thanks Lingon. Maybe you should say 'every hour spent'
    Quote Originally Posted by tainotim View Post
    Very cool J. Can't wait to see this finished. Those mountains are awesome.
    Cheers,
    Tainotim
    Thanks T.

I have an update, but sadly it might be hard to tell what got done.
    This style takes so long - it's almost disheartening to see the lack of progress.
    I may have to do a 2nd version in tandem with this one, just so I have a version that might get completed in time.
    No worries though as I would keep working on this one too.

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guild World Map - JEd country 05 - update13.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	2.94 MB 
ID:	82628

So lovely.
    Actually, you inspired me with all of the beautiful shading details and I'm doing something similar with mine... except not top-down, and perhaps a little less detailed. It does take a very long time to do.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

You're really doing an amazing job with those mountains JE! As for the time it takes... that's the problem of working with big maps, isn't it ?

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I can only encourage you to keep going. As we all know from a certain other decades-in-the-making map, your final products are always worth it.

I love the way the mountains and the rivers integrate themselves together. It's really interesting to see it develop and hope it will last less longer than your last city map...

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    So lovely.
    Actually, you inspired me with all of the beautiful shading details and I'm doing something similar with mine... except not top-down, and perhaps a little less detailed. It does take a very long time to do.
    Nice, I look forward to seeing what you're going to do. You know I love your landscapes and mountains, so I'm sure i'm gonna love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    You're really doing an amazing job with those mountains JE! As for the time it takes... that's the problem of working with big maps, isn't it ?
    You know it Ilanthar. I need to do some small maps - so I have something to show on my portfolio more than once every few months.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I can only encourage you to keep going. As we all know from a certain other decades-in-the-making map, your final products are always worth it.
    Oh dear, let's hope it doesn't turn in to that. I just picked myself off the floor from that last one.
    I think I'd need a few pints before considering another decade-long piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warlin View Post
    I love the way the mountains and the rivers integrate themselves together. It's really interesting to see it develop and hope it will last less longer than your last city map...
    That's how I usually think about them - run-off from mountains leading to streams out of the mountains.
    I try to convey that feel. I may add some smaller tributaries in a little while.
    And yes, let's hope it doesn't last so long. I'm not ready to commit to that sort of thing again so soon.

So another update, as I'm working on this today.
    Almost done with the East, and a full half of the mountains!!! YAY
    Not looking forward to all those western mountains.
    ### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guild World Map - JEd country 05 - update14.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	3.37 MB 
ID:	82647

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Hehe, I don't envy you J, but the hard work sure does pay off with the end result! It's looking great already, so I can only imagine what it's going to be like when all those mountains are done!

That being said, try not to explode darting between this and all the people (me included) you're helping organise for this great endeavour. I know I would!

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast