Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Map 25 – The Kingdom in the clouds

Blog Entries

I have created a whole new sub forum for the GuildWorld and were all in there now. So thats nice and clean to work with instead of us all being in archive. I really should do the same for CWBP and CWBP2 and pull it all out of archives which would allow us to see it again.

So massively incredible, Azelor. [shakes head]

This is a very, very beautiful map, and I'm glad to see that work still continues on the Guildworld project.

Rep from me

So A few months have passed and I redid the farmland with another style. I did not like the old now because it was too heterogeneous.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 juillet copie.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	4.90 MB 
ID:	97179

Also some thematic maps.

Elevation:

It's rough around the edge and missing the dark green.

Name:	altitude 2 .jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	4.69 MB 
ID:	97180

Temperature map for January:
    I followed my climate tutorial and somewhat modified the map after.
    High mountains aren't well defined because they are too small and should be colder than on the map.
    I originally omitted to consider the landmass has having a continental climate.
    But it's larger than the contiguous United States by about 5%, so the climate is influenced by the size of the continent and colder than what I originally anticipated (in winter).

Name:	jan temps copie.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	3.38 MB 
ID:	97181

and July: There is almost no temperature variation in the lower half of the map because it's close to the pole.

Name:	jul temp copie.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	3.64 MB 
ID:	97182

Wow - loads of work!

Lots of thinking.

I think I prefer the new map, though maybe a little variation in the green, as if you had overlaid one on the other, would look even better? I know you can't do that literally, since the texture is different (and I greatly prefer the new one where that is concerned), but I can't think of a better way to explain more clearly what I mean by that.

A great improvement anyway

Wow that's a big change. Although I have to say I do miss the colour variation of the old fields. This looks like it was a lot of work. It looks good though. I like the style you've worked up here, right from the beginning I liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post

and July: There is almost no temperature variation in the lower half of the map because it's close to the pole.
    I'm not sure what this means. Closer to which pole, and closer than what?
    Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    I originally omitted to consider the landmass has having a continental climate.
    But it's larger than the contiguous United States by about 5%, so the climate is influenced by the size of the continent and colder than what I originally anticipated (in winter).
    I'm assuming you are talking about your country? Or the whole pangea continent we got going on? I don't really recall but I was under the impression the continent was a many great times larger than any earth ones.

Thanks for the encouragement
    Yeah I will try to add more color variation.

I'm not sure what this means. Closer to which pole, and closer than what?
    I meant equator. A small portion on the country is in the southern hemisphere.
    My country is about 8.4 million sq km in size, based on my estimations. The whole continent is without a doupt larger than Asia.
    The thing is that my country is kinda shaped like a peninsula. And so I wasn't sure the climate was more oceanic or continental.

I skipped the precipitation maps because it takes a lot of time and I might get results that are too far from the present map.
    I think it shouldn't be too far from anyway.

So, climates !

Name:	climates copie.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	3.41 MB 
ID:	97185

To make the map I used the temperature layers and my standard map to decide on the aridity.

It is almost complete!

The size of the file is still a problem, I'll need to work on smaller maps next time.
    The quality is a bit low but I think it's ok.
    If I split the final map is 2 or 4 parts, the quality should be almost as good as in my photoshop file.

Name:	15 august2.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	8.40 MB 
ID:	98577

Now, three things I'm wondering:

1. I used a transition from yellow to green to represent dryness. Do you find the yellow annoying?
    2. Should I add a texture or color variation for the deserts?
    3. I've added some clouds but I'm not sure how many more I should put.

As always, comments on other things are welcome.

That's a truly magnificent piece of work

What yellow? Its so pale I wouldn't have noticed it if you hadn't said it.

IMHO The deserts do look slightly bland, but its very easy to go over the top when part of the beauty of the map lies in the restraint and control of the colour and tone.

Again IMHO - I'm not sure I really like the clouds. I think they are a bit too cartoonish compared to the fine detail of the rest of the map. How about doing them without the line work, but more like a satellite image? I certainly don't think you need any more than you already have

Hope that helps

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Very nice map ... The transition in yellow walks very well and I do not think deserts need more textures. I am in favor of more clouds, first because they are pretty ... and then because it is in relation to the name of the map. Anyway, this map is really well typed, with an oriental style that is well coherent ... and I find the result very endearing

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast