Continuation of the previous post. I got an error that it was too long.
Maybe I had too many pictures? No the problem came when importing the excel chart it had over 200 000 characters.

Same map with an equal area projection, Albert conic. Also showing the possibly occupied territories mentioned earlier.
Attachment 101220

This is a chart made in Excel showing the proportion of land and population for each province. If the red bar is higher, it means that the population density is high.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chart.png 
Views:	75 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	101236

County map, each province has a different color, it's mostly random.

Name:	counties 354 plus 2.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	824.1 KB 
ID:	101230

Population density by county. Pure black is 0, pure white is 100 people per sq km (or more).

Name:	pop density in sq km.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	730.1 KB 
ID:	101233

To get a better idea of population distribution, I also did this map:
It shows the total population for each county using a greyscale of 1 level of brightness for each 10 000 people.
So at 100, pure white, the population would be 1 000 000.

Name:	pop greyscale 1 for10 000.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	729.9 KB 
ID:	101234

Lastly, I did try to map the different language spoken in the Empire. Not an easy task since there doesn't seems to be a clear definition of what a language is, compared to a local dialect. When does the shift happen?
It is far from complete.

Languages that have similar colors are either part of the same language family, or are regional dialects.
Flat areas tend to have more homogeneous languages while isolated and hilly areas are more diverse.
My thoughts is that the country could be home to several hundred languages. It's a conservative estimate, since Nigeria has apparently over 500 different languages.
Only the dominant languages of any area is shown and small pockets do not appear either. Thus, many languages are going to be left aside.
For anyone who already tried this, how does it look?

Name:	culture proto.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	732.9 KB 
ID:	101235