Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A2 village -testing the iPad Pro

Default A2 village -testing the iPad Pro

Three months ago I bought an iPad Pro and an Apple pancil. The idea was to get a device that was more mobile then my computer but as good as my Cintiq. I'm really pleased so far with how it works and I can see a lot of potential in it. I love the Apple pencil, it evenn outdos the Cintiq when it comes to precission.
    Anyway after I posted a review on G+ I got asked how the Ipad worked if you made lerger maps, like A3 or A2. So far I had only made A4 maps, which worked really fine. So I decided to test it out a bit and see how it works with larger files, so I decided to make an A2 village map. I'm going to run a RPG session in the quite close future so I'm actually making the map for that, so I see it as a village close to the forest of Davokar (you know what that is if you play the Swedish RPG Symbaroum).
    I also thought I could start a wip here on cartographers guild, for those interested in how the iPad will perform, and who also might come with some critique or ideas regarding the map.
    SO far everything has worked really well and there has been no lag while drawing. The biggest difference from making smaler maps are the number of layers. If I make an A4 map I get around 54 layers but with the A2 I only get 11. But that should work anyway.
    The first image here you can see the sketch of the map of the village.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A2 village.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	82365  
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

In this second picture there has been some progress, I've addad all the houses and some of the river and forest. Still quite much to do. The iPad still works fantastically well and there has been no slowdowns. It will be interesting to see how colouring will work, when I get to that.

Name:	A2 village 2.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	82366  
    My finished maps

This is a really nice start! And thanks for sharing your WIP as I'm really interested to see how the iPad is used a replacement for a desktop PC.

What app are you using, and how does it compare to something like Photoshop?
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    This is a really nice start! And thanks for sharing your WIP as I'm really interested to see how the iPad is used a replacement for a desktop PC.

What app are you using, and how does it compare to something like Photoshop?
    Hi and thanks
    I'm using procreate on the iPad. I tried some different apps when I first got the iPad and procreate was in my opinion the one that worked best with the Apple Pencil. Comparing Photoshop and procreate isn't really fair, Photoshop can do so much more. Procreate is more about drawing free hand with some tricks that makes some things easier. It works fantastically well for what it is meant to do though. Photoshop has so many more feature, some that I really miss. But procreate works better for free hand drawing.
    My finished maps

Quote Originally Posted by Clercon View Post
    Hi and thanks
    I'm using procreate on the iPad. I tried some different apps when I first got the iPad and procreate was in my opinion the one that worked best with the Apple Pencil. Comparing Photoshop and procreate isn't really fair, Photoshop can do so much more. Procreate is more about drawing free hand with some tricks that makes some things easier. It works fantastically well for what it is meant to do though. Photoshop has so many more feature, some that I really miss. But procreate works better for free hand drawing.
    What other apps did you use? Any free ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Bhikkustan View Post
    What other apps did you use? Any free ones?
    I tried Photoshop sketch and paper53. But procreate worked much better in my opinion.
    My finished maps

Here is an update of the village.
    I started to experience some very minor lag while using more complex brushes, but after turning off recording the lag disappeared. So everything works really great.

Name:	A2 village.jpeg 
Views:	170 
Size:	461.3 KB 
ID:	82522  
    My finished maps

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

This is looking really beautiful Clercon! Great that the new setup is working for you. That big house on the left, is that a zoom-in or some kind of mansion/large building? Because the roof shingles are bigger than on the smaller houses, and because of its shape, it feels more like a zoom-in than a large structure.

Quote Originally Posted by Lingon View Post
    This is looking really beautiful Clercon! Great that the new setup is working for you. That big house on the left, is that a zoom-in or some kind of mansion/large building? Because the roof shingles are bigger than on the smaller houses, and because of its shape, it feels more like a zoom-in than a large structure.
    The big house is supposed to be a temple/church, so it is not a zoomed in house. But I'm not pleased with the result so I will remake it. Also the stone wall got too square, so I will make it a bit more uneven.
    Thanks for the comment
    My finished maps

Very interesting WIP! It's inspiring to see you working Clercon. All those details are awesome.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast