Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Guildworld - General discussion [place names and other assorted topics]

What about one of the monthly challenges topic as 'map something from the guild world' or something like that.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

I just think that the monthly challenge doesn't suit so well for this, they are too intense and rushed, nor do I think it would generate much in the way of an interest wave, one of the monthlies is sort of a one shot solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Perhaps have a tri-monthly project/contest? Or not contest per say, but something modeled similarly to the monthly challenges. For instance, "map a town from your map" or map a "town from someone else's map" etc.
    I like the challenge of mapping a town from someone else's map... though, you might need to be able to discuss a bit with that person to get info on what the architecture and level of tech is in their part of the world.
    That could be complicated. We'll discuss and see what works for people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    What about one of the monthly challenges topic as 'map something from the guild world' or something like that.
    I like this too - though, I'd have to discuss that as well, as we sort of took over the one monthly challenge already. But the open nature of 'map something' could be nice, since mappers of any type could get in on that. Again, we'll discuss andsee what people would prefer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    I just think that the monthly challenge doesn't suit so well for this, they are too intense and rushed, nor do I think it would generate much in the way of an interest wave, one of the monthlies is sort of a one shot solution.
    But yes.... I sort of agree, that the time constraint of a monthly challenge does inhibit many people from joining in, especially if they don't have time right then.
    I'm currently locked into this months challenge and then some comm work, so my own time is a bit limited just now.
    How do people feel about generally mapping 'something' from the Guildworld? Maybe the winning entry could have some special priviledge, like picking the next thing to map... and maybe a special city or something in their name... any thoughts?

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

There were a couple of sections that never had anything done with them. Gamerprinters's section 01 springs to mind. With the owners' approval, we could use one (or both) as base maps and have a monthly challenge be to complete that section. After all, most of the activity and work here lasted only about a month, so I think it's reasonable to assume people could finish a map segment within a normal challenge's time limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    There were a couple of sections that never had anything done with them. Gamerprinters's section 01 springs to mind. With the owners' approval, we could use one (or both) as base maps and have a monthly challenge be to complete that section. After all, most of the activity and work here lasted only about a month, so I think it's reasonable to assume people could finish a map segment within a normal challenge's time limit.
    That would be cool. I think that sort of challenge would be a way to get sections completed.

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Question Public access to GuildWorld

Greetings fellow cartographers,

I am new to the forum and was curious about the accessibility of the GuildWorld to people outside of the guild. For example if someone wants to use the map for a campaign then do they need to be a member of the guild or can they access it anonymously?

Regards
    Bob

Blog Entries

I think that non members viewing the forum can still see the posts and images. I believe that you need to be logged in to get to the zoomy map versions of the worlds. If your asking about being a DM using the maps for a personal campaign then I think nobody would care. If that means uploading the map images to another site or using them in some other format where one would normally need to get a copyright usage license such as printing them into a module then I think thats not ok. You would have to speak to the artists and ask them.

In terms of the old CWBP it was CC NC-BY-SA licensed so you could have posted copies of those bits of artwork under the SA terms of that CC. But the CWBP 2 & 3 and this GuildCity project were not done with a CC license so its not possible to repost it.

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    I think that non members viewing the forum can still see the posts and images. I believe that you need to be logged in to get to the zoomy map versions of the worlds. If your asking about being a DM using the maps for a personal campaign then I think nobody would care. If that means uploading the map images to another site or using them in some other format where one would normally need to get a copyright usage license such as printing them into a module then I think thats not ok. You would have to speak to the artists and ask them.

In terms of the old CWBP it was CC NC-BY-SA licensed so you could have posted copies of those bits of artwork under the SA terms of that CC. But the CWBP 2 & 3 and this GuildCity project were not done with a CC license so its not possible to repost it.
    Thanks for the reply Redrobes. Makes the usage Crystal clear.
    Another question, I don't see a lot of activity on some of the GuildWorld threads. Is it still in active development?

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    Thanks for the reply Redrobes. Makes the usage Crystal clear.
    Another question, I don't see a lot of activity on some of the GuildWorld threads. Is it still in active development?
    It is active, but the rush the project had is long gone. i think one map was done in the past month, few members claimed some regions. There was also new regions created receantly for more people. I took one too to map. I am working on it now actually.
    So the bottom line is, it's active, but it's progressing very slowly.
    Last edited by Voolf; 06-04-2017 at 09:43 AM.

Well quite a few guildword threads are finished. Some have been totally abandoned, though it's not possible to know which, although one can take educated guesses. I'm actually curious myself as to which unfinished, but claimed plots are not being worked on or still being worked on (even if shelved for the moment).

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast