Thread: Need city and empire map for fantasy novel

Post Need city and empire map for fantasy novel

Hello -

I need a city and continent/empire map for a fantasy novel. I have a strange request though: I would like the mapmaker to read the book, for which I will pay extra (we can discuss price). The reason is that this book takes place in a very detailed city, and there is constant mention of moving between districts, crossing specific bridges, exiting the city by such-and-such a gate leading to the Hennat valley, etc. What I am looking for is a beautiful map, but one which is very accurate to the book. I worry that if I try to specify everything without another set of eyes, I will get it wrong. There is no obligation; if the map-maker starts the book and doesn't want to finish, then we don't have to continue--so no one is bound by anything (though no one who's started the book has ever put it down).

The first map I need is the city. The second book in the series they travel out of the city and for that I need an empire map. But that one is lower priority, though I'll want it as well. I want very high quality for both, and am willing to pay for it, to a reasonable level. I have some very basic pencil maps I drew which I can show as a guide to what I want, but I would want this map to use the book as the real reference.

I read the template and have tried to include it below, but unfortunately I don't know enough about mapmaking to be able to specify all the categories. Please see below.

The scale of the map will be approximately X miles to the inch--I'm not sure about this, need to discuss what would make sense for the city map, which is the first one.

Style

[I am looking for a map in the following style - insert hyperlink of style of map required.]--I don't have a style yet, but would like to look at work that is done by the mapmaker so I can see what would work best.

Quality & Size

[Professional / semi professional]--absolutely professional.

[Required for print / web]--Eventually, this will go into a Fantasy novel. But I want a much bigger version first that I can use as a reference.

[Dimensions of map: x inches by y inches (or pixels)]
    [Raster / Vector]
    --I don't know, let's discuss.

Time Constraints--Not needed in a big rush, but sooner is better. Let's discuss.

Copyright --Let's discuss.

Contact Details--You can PM me. If you have trouble reaching me, leave a response on this thread, and I will get you my email address.

Look forward to hearing from professional mapmakers!

You've got a PM!

-Dan

Great stuff on this site! I got several responses, and all the sample work I saw was beautiful. There are a lot of talented people here.

However, I have now chosen someone to work with, so this thread can be closed. Thanks again for all your replies.