Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Sagitarii - practice city map

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Hi people! Let's start this day with another update shall we?

First of all I finalized the shading and a ton of tiny adaptations here and there, at which point I decided the the geographical part of this map was finished -- barring any remaining remarks from you guys of course!

As announced before, I went for a name change so I can use this map in my book. The city is now called Faltorn, and the orientation of the map is "east is up". This will help it fit with my regional map (where the sea is to the east of the city) and will solve the directional light problem (basically light coming from the NE is a no-no in this part of my world!).

Once that was done, I started work on the informational part of the map:

• widened the canvas to allow for the additional parts to be added;
    • drew in a set of frames with corner decorations;
    • took care of the labeling, both on the map itself and in the sidebar;
    • added a shield (stolen shamelessly from my Aran & Ilan map), a very basic scale, and a compass rose in the shape of an anchor (this is after all a harbour city).
    • Finally I tweaked the overall lightness a little bit. I noticed many of my maps are rather on the dark side, and it's about time I do something about that.

So that's it! I have two versions for you guys. One with the city quarters written in full on the map, and one with just letters and numbers. If I go for the former, I'll obviously have to rearrange the information pieces in the sidebar a bit, but since I'm really lazy this morning AND I kinda like the other version better, I'm gonna postpone that until you guys have convinced me it's indeed necessary. Which I hope it won't be.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sagitarii12a.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	87735 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sagitarii12b.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	2.56 MB 
ID:	87736

Be sure to let me know what you think!
    Last edited by Caenwyr; 09-20-2016 at 03:38 AM.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Really nice job, the labels are working well and legible. I personally like the Quarters in type, leaving the labeling for important building and elevates the Quarters to a higher level and more an Area instead of a Point - sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    Really nice job, the labels are working well and legible. I personally like the Quarters in type, leaving the labeling for important building and elevates the Quarters to a higher level and more an Area instead of a Point - sorry.
    Oh alright alright. People trying to make me perform better — is there anything worse? (I'm joking of course!)

You'll find an update below. Rearranged the sidebar, did some minor tweaks to the in-map numbers and letters and did a major overhaul to the quarter labels so they're a little less jarring.

Name:	Sagitarii13a.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	87761

What do you think?
    C
    Last edited by Caenwyr; 09-21-2016 at 03:17 AM.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

That's looking great Caenwyr! It's been a long time since I checked this thread and you've surely come a long way with the map!

Alright. Did some final tweaks (mostly regarding texture and lightness), and I believe this one can be called finished!

Name:	Sagitarii14.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	2.72 MB 
ID:	87811

You can find the corresponding thread in the Finished section here.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456