Thread: Ceiling height markers

Guild Adept Guild Sponsor

Default Ceiling height markers

I've been thinking about experimenting with ways to indicate the height of a ceiling on a battlemap, which is often of interest (especially once players gain the ability to fly). It seems quite challenging with irregular, organic shapes like caves.

I found a post on The Alexandrian about ceiling heights which talked bout using the UIS signatures for indicating height. That seems like it could work. Anybody tried other approaches? Just curious to see what other people have tried with this.

Blog Entries

I think if you need to have that sort of information then having the map in 3D or at least ISO is probably required. Have a look at the ravenloft maps. They were good at explaining the orientation of the map in 3D space. Otherwise you might as well just have the information in the GM text.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

you could also have a pale/low contrast number indicating changes in ceiling height. if there are mulitiple heights in a room or cave, just place the numbers where they are differing.

The reason for the pale/low contrast numbers would be that they should not be strong enough to clutter the map but be available if you actually are looking for them. All the players need to know is what the normal ceiling height is, and then figure it out themselves.

The 3D works for regular ceilings, but as they have a cut away at some point, might not be very useful if you really need that kind of info...
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent