Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Six maps open for critics and comments :)

Actually another question I have is if the planet is, let's say, 1.1x times bigger, how would that play on the distribution of climate? Would one particular type of climate expand more than the others?
    We all wish to create, but do we really create?
    What we draw and what we write is part of us.
    No we do not create, we simply discover who we are.
    **My maps have copyrights**

This being said... do I need to have an oblate spheroid shape or not? If it is essential to sustain life, then I guess I should keep some similar proportions. Once I have the numbers, I will be able to do what I call a dual perpendicular rings with 4 dots (so I can have my four middle points) which will allow me to have a better feel of the distortion when drawing something which normally would be spherical but on flat.
    No it is not essential to life. Being a perfect sphere would not change anything.
    But it make sense for a physics perspective.
    As the planet is rotating, it is slightly stretched by the forces of gravity.
    The faster the object rotate, the bigger is the difference between the 2 measures.
    For example the star Achernar diameter at the pole is half the diameter at the equator.

So I guess Venus is almost a perfect sphere.

Actually another question I have is if the planet is, let's say, 1.1x times bigger, how would that play on the distribution of climate? Would one particular type of climate expand more than the others?
    It depend if the planet is simply bigger or if that also comes with a change in gravity. Bigger and heavier planers do not always result in higher gravity (ex:Neptune gravity is only slightly higher than Earth's despite being 17 times heavier).
    If the planet is 1.1 time larger but also 1.1 time heavier (same density ass Earth) then I think the gravity will remain the same.
    Regrading the size alone, the biggest difference would be somewhat larger deserts. The distance from the ocean is not the only factor explaining deserts but it's an important one. Assuming the continents are larger, the interiors are further away from the oceans and thus drier.

Thanks Azelor. Yeah, if the continents are bigger, it makes sense to have bigger deserts, but deserts can sometimes also follow the coastline such as with Chili no? But yeah, I believe my planet will mostly be 1.1x or 1.2x maximum so my gravity ain't gonna be a problem. However, concerning the duration of days... That will be problematic... Either the planet rotates on itself 1.1x or 1.2x faster so the amount of days is the same in a year, and also I think the same duration of a day into 24 hours.

I got this simple formula if you want for gravity :
    (your planet diameter/earth diameter)x(your planet density/earth density) = gravity in G of your planet

So you gravity should have a slightly less density than earth if you want to have the exact same gravity.

Thanks Ilanthar! In the meantime I work on the dimensions on the floor of the living room, here is a small update on my second continent.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image0.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	112152

Hello everyone and long time no chat!

On the 78th post on this thread, I posted as a mosaic kinda my first whole continent. The problem is I can no longer just leave it somewhere in real life for me to look at it and I would actually benefit much from having one single image document on my computer with all of them merged together. I tried using Paint and simply just enlarging the blank sheet as I copy paste in order my portions of the map, but after the first row (which I have 9) I am already over 700mbs...

Basically the reason why I need a single image is to copy it so i can work on demographic expansion and population migration through a time line of several thousand of years.

Any tip would help thanks!

What resolution are you working on, 300 DPI?
    Assuming you are using 9 standard sheets of paper, you have a file of 22950 x 3300.
    That's still manageable but it's starting to get big.

If you are only using it to merge, I suppose Paint can do an acceptable job but Gimp would offer more tool and you could use multiple layers, which will be useful later on if you want thematic maps (demographic).

Oh thanks Azelor, yes indeed thematic maps would be exactly what I am aiming for also. WIll try to work around gimp

That is going to be a huge image! - 54 sheets in post #78

I'd recommend you scale down the size of sheets by a factor of 3 or 4 at least before you merge them together.
    Probably more, depending on your computer and the size of your display device.

In the end, it really boils down to how much resolution do you need in your composite image.

Just another small update, but a big one for me. I managed with gimp to merge it all together and its big enough that I can only handle one additional layer on the map. So eventually, I will have to duplicate the merged map for different thematic maps. The first image is without any layer, the second is a part of the northern half with a layer showing the nations. So far I have 37 (38 if I count one which ain't an active nation anymore).

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	38 
Size:	221.7 KB 
ID:	114305

Name:	Capture1.PNG 
Views:	77 
Size:	742.2 KB 
ID:	114306

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast