Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MMM's Experiments

Default MMM's Experiments

Hoping to progress more and more, I opened this thread. I'm always experimenting with different stuff, and though some end up as hideous examples of imagination, others push me the right way. I will try to update this thread daily, working my way higher up the ladder....
    So today I tried another go at a watercolour top-down style I've been working on. It's my third experimental dabble with this. The result isn't too bad - I improved my mountains - but I've still got work to do with the forests, and hills too. I shouldn't have added the labels so hurriedly - my mistake can be seen not only in the label itself but with the names . Microns are not good for calligraphy. About time i got myself some nice dip pen.
    Took me 'bout three hours. Yes, I rushed. Also, the colour seems a bit off, due to the scanner. I must have messed up with the brightness somehow.
    Hopefully one day I will make a real map with this style. Perhaps that's it - I will manage a neat map if I map a place I know and respect. But, you know, I think I'm okay with continually experimenting first. I lean more to isometric maps anyway.
    Adruss. Not one stroke of ink apart from the labels.
    EDIT: It did rotate... And yes, I don't know how mountains really work, from above. Cooked spaghetti anyone??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	adruss2018.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	107423  

I really like your forests on this!

Thank you Ilanthar
    It's a pity, my watercolour pad is between A4 and A3, and my scanner is a4 only... I have so many experiments and maps I want to upload, but they'll have to wait.

Quick 'city' i started working on yesterday. was fun to doodle with, might add to it later on. i wanted to see the effects of hatching, and 'tudor' beams (which, here, are very messy). microns on A4 normal paper.

Name:	experiment2.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	110734  

That looks great!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thanks chickpea!

Added some stuff to the same doodle. The more houses I draw, the neater the next one along is. So I'll never stop
    Oh, and forgive the piece of 'mud' near the square with the statue, I don't know what happened to me there...

Name:	thecityagain.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	521.4 KB 
ID:	110866  

Looking very good! I'm just wondering how it would look you do some less dense hatching for the walls (or the roofs, one or the other).

Thx Ilanthar! I'm not sure which will best be less hatchy myself, but hopefully tomorrow I'll try a few experiments and post them.

Well, my idea is to do a slight difference between roofs and walls (it's of course visible right now, but I would try to slightly reinforce it). Maybe some play on opacity would be enough? Some thing I tend to do sometimes is to do another layer at less opacity with a slight translation (like a dropped shadow, somewhat) and it can give some depth, like a kind of engraving.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast