Thread: Greetings from South Africa

Guild Applicant

Default Greetings from South Africa

Greetings all,

I call myself "Lányx", I am a hobbyist. This site has intrigued me, with the beautiful fantasy maps. My work, unfortunately, is far more bland and industrial. I sarcastically blame my engineering background, and my OCD for not being into fantasy. I don't really follow Harry Potter, Lord of the rings or Dragons & Dungeons.
    My fictional country takes up a whole continent. The layout of the continents is similar to earth. The exception is that to get from Europe to Asia, the easiest way is to pass through my unnamed continent. It has the rough shape of South America. Hence, its the golden age was the era of steam ship travel, where the country facilitated, and profited from, cross-continental transport of goods and people.
    The planet is 3% smaller (to make 1nm = 1800m) than Earth. Normal laws of physics, mathematics, economics, politics, etc apply. My maps are set in the modern era, with our current technology. My maps are of topographical nature with the above-surface infrastructure and zones overlaid. My current continent exists for the last 13 real-world years. Roughly 3 years ago, I moved my maps to CAD. I hope it is not an offense to give a link to one of my last hand-drawn beauties, hosted by a third party. Leonard's Town can be found here : http://urbangeofiction.stadtkreation...s-Town-17k.jpg.
    I hope to share my knowledge, and my artwork through this site.

Signed,
    Greg.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

hi lanyx and welcome to the guild. Sounds like an interesting world you've got going ... the town look really good, the only thing I'd "change" would be the labeling, it seems a bit coarse compared to the much lighter buildings and so forth. Hard to do directly on paper of course, a graphic program is easier when it comes to labeling ... When you share pics with the guild, we prefer if you upload the actual pic to the guild, and uploading maps are never offensive, rather it is encouraged
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    hi lanyx and welcome to the guild. Sounds like an interesting world you've got going ... the town look really good, the only thing I'd "change" would be the labeling, it seems a bit coarse compared to the much lighter buildings and so forth. Hard to do directly on paper of course, a graphic program is easier when it comes to labeling ... When you share pics with the guild, we prefer if you upload the actual pic to the guild, and uploading maps are never offensive, rather it is encouraged
    What Tilt said, we love maps in all shapes and sizes. Post'em if ya got'em... I would be quite interested to see what you can do with a CAD program. Not sure what the allowance is for dwg files 'cause a quick look here doesn't show cad formats, so you would have to save it as something other than a DWG. The city map definitely shows the Engineer in you I like.

As you work on a map you can always start a WIP (Work In Progress) thread to get pointers and help with questions you may have while you are working on a map.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent