Thread: WIP - Temple of Avir Tel

Default WIP - Temple of Avir Tel

Perhaps it'd be more appropriate to showcase this here, as it is a dungeon, after all. My progress continues! I have finished the entrance and have begun working on the main floor. Question for you fellows. When you're making stairs that go up, as I intend to here, do you shade the section you want to indicate is gone up in darker or lighter? I get the feeling that people might think that these stairs are going down. Truthfully, they need some more work, need that railing and everything done, after all, but I still can't shake the feeling off.

Planted the finished version of the entrance here too. Tree might need a bit more work, but those were never my strong suit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Temple of Avir Tel - Main Floor - WIP.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	963.8 KB 
ID:	84177   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Temple of Avir Tel - Entrance.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	809.9 KB 
ID:	84176  

Progress continues. The main floor got a rewamp, I think you'll all notice that. My need to keep things symetric kicked in, had to fix it. Then I decided that white stone would look much nicer as the walls for an old temple like this. Then I redid the stairs. Shadows I'll play around with still, though the current model turned out rather charming.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Temple of Avir Tel - Main Floor - WIP.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	722.8 KB 
ID:	84199

Looking good. I also have a problem with making my maps too symmetrical, I have to fight that all the time.

As for the stairs most people put a shadow on the stairs so that it fades to darker as you go down the stairs, even if that is not always logical. It is what the eye expects.
    One thing that could be improved is the individual stair shadows should have a sharper edge at the top of the stair and then a fade towards the middle of the lower step.
    Your shadows fade in both directions so it is harder to tell which way is up or down.
    Like this:

Name:	Stairs-Wood.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	84232 Name:  Steps_kpl.png
Views: 422
Size:  3.3 KB

NOTE, The stairs on the left posted going down and the stair shadow on the right posted in the opposite direction.
    Last edited by Bogie; 06-05-2016 at 06:10 PM.

That's some great advice, thanks man!

Sorry 'bout the late reply. Real life took reign again, I hadn't had much chance to be online. I did finish that map pack, it's out here:
    Temple of Avir Tel Still, something to keep in mind for the future. As soon as I have time, I'll go to work on the lower levels of the temple.

Here's how that main floor looks in the end.

Name:	Temple of Avir Tel - Main Floor.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	921.1 KB 
ID:	84698
    Last edited by SrgDark; 06-26-2016 at 03:46 AM.