Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Forest Smithy - Critique welcome

Hey!

I'm not sure what to say to all these nice comments, but thank you. Really appreciate all the positive feedback!

I might have to disappoint djan here, all that nice empty space is filled with stuff now!
    I also went ahead and zoomed in a bit on the cabin, it would take me much to long to detail everything, and I had nothing particular in mind to add out there.
    I do agree with the mine needing some kind of scaffolding or something.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map_03_05.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	2.64 MB 
ID:	84657

I think the outside would benefit from a few different bushes or something like that, but I'm not sure how much more time I will put into this one. All the other detailing was a lot of work.

There is a constant struggle going on between attention span and detail, I'm trying to figure out how much time I can put into something like this before I get bored and need to move on.

Things will probably be quite a bit less detailed in the future as I figure out a good balance.
    But yet again I learn a lot of things each time I try something new like this, it's also a lot of fun!

I'm still in awe of the amazing lineowork you have here. Are you just doing this on a drawing tablet in photoshop or something?

What previous history do you have with drawing? Are you an artist?

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    I'm still in awe of the amazing lineowork you have here. Are you just doing this on a drawing tablet in photoshop or something?

What previous history do you have with drawing? Are you an artist?
    You are too kind!
    I do this on my 8 year old Wacom Intuos 3 Wide in Photoshop, yes. This is obviously not the most effective way to do it, but I do like drawing so I'm just exploring different ways of doing this at the moment.

I guess you would have to call me an artist at this point. I went to an art school for 2 years where I mostly tried to learn to draw, and then I studied digital/traditional drawing/painting at the university, along with some 3D for about 3-4 years I guess. Then now most recently I went through another 2 year computer game graphics education where I also drew/painted and made 3D models.

My dream from the start was illustration though, so I have been drawing quite a bit through the years and then I slowly fell into game graphics. I'm looking for a job now though, so with all this free time I discovered map making and started drawing a lot again when I showed up here.

I like the simplicity of just drawing compared to making graphics for games, so who knows what will happen in the future?

I got a rudimentary portfolio up at the moment, I have some old 2D stuff in the blog section that you can look at too if you are interested.

www.dysterkvist.com

I would just like to add that I consider myself quite sloppy when it comes to my lines, just so you get some perspective. What you consider very good is always relative to where you are yourself and of course then changes with time. I am at a point now where I don't hate what I do, but I know many others who are way better at it than I am, and this is fine.

I have a tip that helped me a lot, so if you are interested you should try it, this is the thing I think is most responsible for my lines improving. Draw studies of things in real life or from photos using only a ballpoint pen or some ink pen. Something you can't easily erase. It will look like crap for a while but it really forces you to think about what you are doing when you can't sketch first.
    And as with everything art related, it takes time and a lot of practice, so the more you do the better it gets.
    Last edited by Dysterkvist; 06-27-2016 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Spelling and additional unasked for tip of the day

And today's update. Took forever but it turned out ok I think! Filled up even more of that white space with some hinted mountain shapes.
    I need to move on soon, but I might tweak it a bit more before I call it done. I had fun and learned a lot of things.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map_03_06.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	3.30 MB 
ID:	84709

Amazing, inspiring and rep worthy ! Keep them coming please !

Quote Originally Posted by thomrey View Post
    Amazing, inspiring and rep worthy ! Keep them coming please !
    Thank you kindly! I will probably start up something new later today

Awesome, awesome, AWESOME! I think it could use a nice border to give it a nice finished feel.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

What Josiah said !

Thanks again for your nice comments! I'll have to make a sweep later and add some finishing touches here and there, I'll make sure to include some kind of border.

Hi,

I really like your maps. They are so clean and detailed and still manage to read really well.

Do you draw in pencil and scan or is this done fully in Photoshop or another package? It's fantastic and I would love to be able to learn how to get a similar crisp finish.

Weery.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast