Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powell House

Map Powell House

A while back Robbie, our admin and founder of the Guild, asked me about making a map of his property. While discussing it, we got talking about his daughter and a story-bookish feel to the map as a thing she could have from her childhood. This was difficult to do while also rendering an accurate map of the property. No castles or dragons or dark woods.
    So I tried to convey the feel through color and lettering, where it may not have come through on just the rendering alone.

All in all it was a challenge and a fun commission for someone I was glad to work with.
    It can be argued that had Robbie not started the Guild, I may not be doing the maps that I'm doing today.
    The ability would be there but the direction of my work would surely be different.
    As the map was for him, I'm uploading a half size version here. It still shows all the details.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Powell House by sirinkman.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	4.67 MB 
ID:	84596
    Last edited by J.Edward; 06-20-2016 at 01:52 PM.

What a wonderful piece. It's doubly so knowing the backstory to it. Very nice work J. Color and layout are as always, beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Wow how great, I'm sure they will love this and cherish it for years, once again, incredibly inspirational.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

So cool! It's very well done. And I love the reason behind it.

Superbe. I love the way you let the trees go out of the margin and the reflection in the water of the pound. You masters all the details of your drawing, your client must be happy .

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh I am indeed happy! This is fantastic isn't it? I can't wait to give a printed version to my daughter to use as a treasure map or whatever to fuel her imagination. She's going to grow up to be a little navigator. Maybe at our 20 year anniversary she'll be running things around here. Thanks so much for taking this commission J.

Posted mobile using Tapatalk
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Looking great, you make to many maps for my repping capabilities Also like others have stated a great reason for making this map
    I'm allergic to pollen! - Amaranthus hypochondriacus

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Wow, man. The perspective is amazing. It really feels as though you could jump right into the map.

J. Once again, you have created something that just blows me away.. this is absolutely beautiful! I love the fact that you created the storybook feel by labeling special places... like Molly's Trees... it gives the childhood home a magical feel to it.

I also love the leaf border underneath... a lovely soft touch. It's fantastic! I'd rep if could... but I think it's been too soon! You make too many outstanding maps!
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast