Thread: Having Issues with River Flow Maps in Photoshop

Question Having Issues with River Flow Maps in Photoshop

Hello, I'm relatively new to the whole mapping thing, and decided as such to basically go through the Israh tutorial for my first world with a little less of Israh's signature geography. This has gone relatively well with the seemingly unexplained exception of the river flow maps in Photoshop. The Israh tutorial suggests that once I save the river flow maps and stick them in Photoshop, I should be able to select all the black pixels in the image and delete them, presumably with the magic wand tool that Israh uses for the rest of the tutorial. I’m having an issue where I can’t select these pixels, no matter what combination of magic wand, color range selection, or anything else that I try. Has anyone else had this issue, and if so does the community have any ideas for a work-around or alternate solution. Loving my mapping tools to death so far, and looking forward to getting a decent regional map going, complete with rivers!

Edit: Linked two examples of the river flow files I'm working with

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Seryth_Rivers_Medium.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	173.4 KB 
ID:	84727

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Seryth_Rivers_Small.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	237.2 KB 
ID:	84728
    Last edited by Azhek_Ahriman; 06-27-2016 at 11:09 PM.

When using the magic wand tool, make sure to set the Tolerance to a low value, probably 0. Also make sure that the working layer isn't Background. If it is, right-click on that layer and select "new layer from background". You should then be able to pick the black areas and delete them (make them transparent).

What waldronate suggested should absolutely work. Alternatively, you could make the wand tolerance low, uncheck contiguous and anti-aliasing, and then select the white(?) pixels of the rivers and then invert the selection to delete the black. Or you could just cut and paste the rivers onto a new layer and that would have the same effect.

Thanks guys! I ended up cutting them onto another layer after color selecting, and that looks like it got where I want to be.