Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: City of Bladewater [commission]

Totally amazing map. Have some rep.
    M

I like it very much,thanks a lot~

Another (massive) piece to love. Thanks for sharing John!
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Round cities can be tricky, that looks great.

Guild Journeyer

Well done J.Ed! I like those small yards inside the "district blocks", cozy. Amazing linework.

Again, I am late in responding - my apologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by carlsson View Post
    Wow. Just wow!
    Thanks Carlsson
    Quote Originally Posted by thomrey View Post
    Bulky but lovely ! Man, you know how to pack your maps.
    Thanks Thomas. Haha, it is a bit bulky. This one did have a lot that needed to be added.
    Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    J.Edward, you never cease to amaze me with your maps! This one is dizzying!!! In a good way, of course. I especially love the cliffside, and that little trail down to the river's edge! That's a really cool detail in such a large map!!!

I'm going to be starting my own city map soon enough (my very first), and I'm hoping you will come and help me out with it when I do! I will certainly need your expertise!!!
    Thanks ladiestorm. I will go check threads today and seek out your city map. I love adding little paths and out of the way things like that.
    it's the sort of thing I would look for if visiting a city. Little nooks and special places.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
    This is absolutely astounding. I love the clean lines, the simple shapes that all coalesce into a magnificent design. This is one of my favorite city maps to appear in the Guild for a long while. Very nicely done, indeed.

And yes, my first impression was the Millennium Falcon.
    Thanks so much Sanderling haha, yep, it does look like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warlin View Post
    Just amazing and beautifull. If you don't mind sharing with us some of your work progress : do you use vector tool to draw your city building ?
    Thanks Warlin. No vector tools, just loads of free hand drawing.
    Maybe there's a technique I don't know of, but doing it free hand is the fastest way for me to do this. And also, to get the level of variation that I want as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Great map again! I just don't know how you manage to put so much details in a city map... I do the quarter of this, and I'm already exhausted.
    Haha, thanks Ilanthar Well, I just do what I do.
    Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Yet another incredible piece! Your work never ceases to inspire J. Out of curiosity, how much of the details of the map (i.e. its layout, districts major features etc) were given to you as specs, and how much was purely your own design? Did the client provide you with a reference map, or just notes? I'm just curious I guess how you approach a commissioned project of a city of this scale.

EDIT:...and as per usual, I'm out of rep...

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks arsheesh. I was not given a ref map. I was given some text description, but was mostly free to lay it out as I saw fit.
    Mostly the client gave me general direction on a circ city, walled districts, their name and purpose, and then a few specific locations.
    With something this large, I try to balance the look and feel of multi-purpose buildings... like close shops that would have living above on upper floors.
    So in some sense, I am sort of envisioning whether buildings I'm drawing are one, two, or more levels.
    I do that to make sure I have enough living quarters for the amount of people I think would be in a city.
    Hopefully that is helpful. If not, just ask any further questions, and I'll try to answer them.
    Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    Totally amazing map. Have some rep.
    M
    Thanks Mearrin
    Quote Originally Posted by SoyaDokio View Post
    I like it very much,thanks a lot~
    Thank you SoyaDokio
    Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    Another (massive) piece to love. Thanks for sharing John!
    Haha, thanks Abu
    Quote Originally Posted by Robulous View Post
    Round cities can be tricky, that looks great.
    Thanks Rob and yes, they can be tricky. They are not my favorite to do, mainly as it is a bit contrived since cities are rarely round.
    But it does make for a visually interesting city, most times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilgoth View Post
    Well done J.Ed! I like those small yards inside the "district blocks", cozy. Amazing linework.
    Thanks Ilgoth

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123