Thread: Abandoned Temple

Wip Abandoned Temple

Here we go again!
    Trying a less detailed approach with focus on the interior this time. Was very inspired by SteffenBrands nice interiors, so you might notice some similar shadows here.

I've had fun with this so far and it has been a lot quicker than the previous maps, which is nice.
    I will be doing the crypt part tomorrow along with numbering the locations and stuff like that. Not had much chance to figure that stuff out yet, so would be fun.

This location is from the same adventure as the smithy, but this one had a rather simple map of it, so I changed it up a bit even though the general layout is similar.

First is the sketch and then the actual work. I might slightly change the crypt layout, it looks a bit like a spaceship at the moment.
    Thanks for looking!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map_04_00.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	351.6 KB 
ID:	84761 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map_04_01.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	575.1 KB 
ID:	84762

Looking great so far. I don't like how the walls are complete black, are you going to change that?

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

One more thread to follow. One minor critic though, like Josiah, the black walls seem too harsh compared to the rest of the linework. I think the pattern provided by Steffen Brand would work wonders with your map.
    Here's a link :
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=29060
    Last edited by ThomasR; 06-29-2016 at 12:54 PM.

Hey!
    Yes, I was going to experiment some with filling the walls. I'm not very picky with what state I show things in or very good at always saying what my intentions are, so sometimes that might be a bit unclear, so I agree! The black will need to go.

Here we go, I finished the crypt under the temple and fiddled some with adding a nice border for this thing. Probably took me over an hour to figure that out.

I filled in the walls some as suggested above and I think it turned out quite nice, not too noisy.
    Quite happy with how fast I managed to get this done as I only started on it yesterday, I find it quite a bit of fun to do these interiors, so much story to be told!

It's nice to be able to spend some time trying to add that extra polish at the end, very hard for me to keep motivated when it's dragged on for too long.

Anyone see anything in need of fixing before I put this down in the archive?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map_04_02.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	84784

That was pretty fast!
    Hmmm... honestly I don't really like the fill you've chosen for the walls.
    How does the bottom one relate to the top one?

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Hmm... Where do the pillars in the courtyard go? Do they support some sort of roof? Would there then not be vegetation in the permanent shade between the pillars and the walls?

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    That was pretty fast!
    Hmmm... honestly I don't really like the fill you've chosen for the walls.
    How does the bottom one relate to the top one?
    Well, we can't agree on everything. But you are very welcome to show me what you think is a better way to handle it, I tend to not see if there is a better way to do it until I can compare it to something that actually is better or worse.

I made it like this because they seem to have done so traditionally at some point in time (found stuff here http://www.british-history.ac.uk/rch...vol1/pp332-341)

Do you mean how you get to the bottom one from the first one? Stairs at 6 lead to 7, so the crypt is located under ground and rotated to fit the page, it looked strange to have it in the logical direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Islacrusez View Post
    Hmm... Where do the pillars in the courtyard go? Do they support some sort of roof? Would there then not be vegetation in the permanent shade between the pillars and the walls?
    This is a good observation and probably true. I imagine there is a glass roof or that the pillars are just for decoration, as I guess the garden needs some direct light to flourish. I didn't think too much about it honestly! I will keep stuff like that in mind going forward, thanks!

I'm really not sure what is wrong with the wall fill, it looks perfectly normal to me. Maybe its boldness?

Anyways nice little map. I like this style a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    I'm really not sure what is wrong with the wall fill, it looks perfectly normal to me. Maybe its boldness?

Anyways nice little map. I like this style a lot.
    It comes down to a matter of taste I think! Thanks for the comments and nice to hear that you like it, it was a lot of fun to draw!