Thread: [GIMP] Best 'Cracks' GIMP Brushes?

Default [GIMP] Best 'Cracks' GIMP Brushes?

Hopefully, this isn't in the wrong sub-forum, but so often, general-use crack brushes aren't well suited for making cracks in dungeon battle maps' floors. That's what I'm seeking: brushes for GIMP to help me make cracks in floors and masonry in a low-DPI battle map. Unfortunately, Roll20.net—a fantastic, easy-to-use virtual table top for RPG games—forces a fixed 70 DPI, so 3000x3000 brushes sometimes don't look as good at 140x140, or are poorly suited for, say, scuffing and roughing up a cobblestone floor texture.

Any good links or resources out there?

Thanks!

There's a few brush sets at deviantART: GIMP crack brushes

I haven't tried any of these personally (I don't use GIMP), but the ones by Project-GimpBC and FrostBo look like they would work well for making cracked dungeon floors/tiles.

EDIT: Can GIMP make custom brushes from PNGs? If so, you could really open up your options by downloading abrMate and converting Photoshop brushes. There are a lot of free cracks brushes for Photoshop at deviantART. I use PaintShop Pro, and abrMate has been absolutely wonderful for me in this regard.
    Last edited by Neyjour; 07-02-2016 at 02:08 PM.

There are a lot of brushes, that's for sure! I've been going through them for what seems like hours now, including those you linked on DA. I can't figure out how to use ABR files in GIMP, though the Internet seems to think they should work just fine.

I also can't find the "refresh brushes" button that the Internet swears is there, either.

I'm still an unskilled novice and am probably wrong about all that.

I can't find anything that specifically mentions converting PNG to GBR, but I'm sure it can be done. In this tutorial it shows an image with a transparent background being made/converted into a GBR brush:
    Turn a Texture into a Brush Easily in Gimp!

After you've used abrMate to convert Photoshop brushes into PNGs, you should be able to open those PNGs in GIMP and then follow the tutorial from this part: "Our New Brush, Ready to be Saved"