Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quelgriss

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

Default Quelgriss

Yeah, so, another "map", then. A rare "quick" one, and "simple" too. By my "standards", at least. Whatever that means.

"Enjoy".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map.jpg 
Views:	620 
Size:	3.05 MB 
ID:	84929  

Another Daelin map, nice! I love the simplicity of it. very well done like usual. One minor nitpick is that the frame looks like it doesn't completely go with the map. It gives me a sort of a stone/marble feel while the map is parchment-y. But that is minute point and he maps looks great

Cheers,
    Barek
    I'm allergic to pollen! - Amaranthus hypochondriacus

Nice! Very believable continent shapes. Are they based very roughly off of earth?
    Have some rep!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Did I ever tell you I LOVE your naming conventions? In some ways I look forward to seeing the names of places on your maps more than the maps themselves! The thought of a 'Liquid Spider' is terrifying.

Oh, awesome map, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Barek333
    One minor nitpick is that the frame looks like it doesn't completely go with the map.
    Fair enough. Decided to go with a minimalist border, for a change, not get bogged down in usual ornate wankery. Maybe should've left out the gradient overlay, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE
    Very believable continent shapes. Are they based very roughly off of earth?
    No so much earth-based as internet-based. As in, I googled a bunch of threads like "land shape vector", "coastline border vector", etc. Found something I was satisfied with, and reworked it until I could in good conscience omit the obligatory credit. That's how I do most of my maps; google.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond
    Did I ever tell you I LOVE your naming conventions?
    'Tis why I do my maps. I get to go bonkers on the names of places. It's all about coming up with the most obscure yet bizarrely intriguing names. Ignites the imagination of the reader. Just think, what is a Foldspace Synod? And what makes a desert sentient? Or how does a government based on snake-related light ("Ophic Lucitocracy") actually work? I don't know. Maybe you can tell me.
    Last edited by Daelin; 07-05-2016 at 04:41 PM.

Of the recent maps I've seen, this one is truly special. 1) The font used (what is it please?) is wonderful in color and placement. 2) I love the use of a white border for the continents to make them pop away from the water ripples. 3) I've never been a fan of mountains that have a realistic look to them (everytime I look at Google Earth mountains I cringe), but I have to say, these fit this map perfectly. Maps like yours are why I love cartography so much.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Silverleaf
    The font used (what is it please?) ... Maps like yours are why I love cartography so much.
    This. And thanks.

Many thanks for the font.

Beautiful map! And I really second Diamond about the labels. It kinda stimulate my imagination in all sorts of directions !

Quote Originally Posted by Silverleaf
    Many thanks for the font.
    np!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar
    Beautiful map!
    thx!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast