Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Grimmsmouth

This is my favourite unfinished map here

I don't think getting distracted is a bad thing, It'd be pretty weird to be able to focus strongly on one thing for this amount of time. Vorropohaiah seems to manage it with his Atlas Elyden and I have no idea how. But there are advantages to distractions as well. Anyways I'm always happy to see updates on this.

Wow, that's insane (in a completely positive way!)! I'm very impressed with your map and I just read through the whole thread. Your work process is really fascinating. I have no idea, how you keep the overview over your working sketch. To me it looks very confusing, but the idea behind it is very interesting and I also love that you don't stop at the city boundary, but plan to do a wider county area.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    This is my favourite unfinished map here

I don't think getting distracted is a bad thing, It'd be pretty weird to be able to focus strongly on one thing for this amount of time. Vorropohaiah seems to manage it with his Atlas Elyden and I have no idea how. But there are advantages to distractions as well. Anyways I'm always happy to see updates on this.
    Hi Falconius, I'm delighted to hear you say that! Sometimes I'm so close to this map I wonder if it is working out as I want it to. This sort of feedback helps reaffirm things for me

Also, I have seen Vorro's Atlas Elyden (I actually have favourited his index for the atlas as an example I return to again and again) and it is amazing. The dedication as well as skill and imagination is mind blowing. Thanks again for commenting.

Quote Originally Posted by Neyasha View Post
    Wow, that's insane (in a completely positive way!)! I'm very impressed with your map and I just read through the whole thread. Your work process is really fascinating. I have no idea, how you keep the overview over your working sketch. To me it looks very confusing, but the idea behind it is very interesting and I also love that you don't stop at the city boundary, but plan to do a wider county area.
    Hey Neyasha,

Thanks so much for commenting and reading back through the thread. I'm glad you found it interesting

Below is an example of how (once I have completed a sq km of the map) I add the finished pieces back in over the working sketch. The outlines allow me to place both Parish names and Townland names centrally.

Attachment 106869

It's an iterative process where the original sketch gets brought into a smaller area and changed depending on neighbouring sections or an overall goal. For example, I've recently redeveloped the Catherdal district in Drumkirk which appears on the latest iteration I've posted.

Perhaps though, a better example would be how I've begun to consider a subway system connecting the north bank with the (as yet unmapped) south bank. To do this I've put on my imaginary town planner/engineer hat. I originally thought I could build a subway station under Frederick Wenceslas Station but what I would really want if I was an engineer is to create an unbroken line from the country's northern regions and the capital, that could travel across the river and keep on going. If I just placed a subway station under FWS passengers would have to transfer.

So I noticed the disused quarry which tunnels under Somerhill and thought that would be a great place to start as some of the mining work is already done. Then once we reach the station I could use a system of earthmoving called cutting to have some covered and some open (but bridged) rail lines leading to the river where I would repeat the planning process in the old town where a station already exists! Here's a rough line of that plan.

Attachment 106870

I think (and hope) that by doing these types of things, it makes the city appear slightly more natural. If I want to put something into Grimmsmouth I generally try to work around some of the restrictions I've already imposed on myself.

And I have a lot of fun doing it, too Hope the above is useful to you and others. Thanks again.

Wow!

Weery, just looking at that sketch compilation makes my eyes ache with all the details. It really is a massive project.

It makes Sanctuary seem like a backwater village

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Yeah, this is really something special. Every time I look at it I'm blown away by the amount of love and attention and WORK that went into it. I think you and vorropaiah may be two of the most dedicated mappers here.

Thanks so much Diamond

I think you hit the nail on the head regarding the 'love' I have for this. I'm glad that's coming through!

The dedication maybe stems from an overactive imagination which won't allow me to stop imagining the damn place Any time I think I'm out they pull me back in again!

Aw - you haven't got anything to worry about yet. Its when you start dreaming (or having nightmares) about a map that you have to start looking over your shoulder for the men in white coats

*Mouse tries not to, but can't help herself and throws a second worried look over her left shoulder*

That is an amazing and intricated city!

Thank you so much Azélor I'm delighted that you like it!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast