Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: July 2016 Challenge: Harlasea

Really nice piece, love the border wave up top, lovely composition, the font works really well with this style. Like the perspective, very expansive. Great job, watching this develop with enjoyment!

Wonderful work John, I'm already in love with this world.. your lineart feel so natural and yet you are so fast! But I would like to see the golden sun too.. do you plan to draw some sky, or the lineart that "cut" the sea is a border element?

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    Another awesome piece John! The forests look great and fit very well into the landscape. Speaking of it, i just imagined a titanic warmachine making a fancy u-turn at the beach Really looking forward to see it coming together.
    Thanks Abu I am going to make part of the map a sort of burned/destroyed section... ya know, due to all those wyvern ;P
    Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    Really nice piece, love the border wave up top, lovely composition, the font works really well with this style. Like the perspective, very expansive. Great job, watching this develop with enjoyment!
    Thanks snodsy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Wonderful work John, I'm already in love with this world.. your lineart feel so natural and yet you are so fast! But I would like to see the golden sun too.. do you plan to draw some sky, or the lineart that "cut" the sea is a border element?
    Thank you Tom I wasn't planning on doing the sky/horizon in this one. so the sea is the border here, mostly. It could change.
    Hopefully we'll be seeing some golden sun soon.

Okay, so here's another small update. Still so much to do.
    No real light or shadow in there yet. I started adding too much detail to the stone... and that just means I created more work for myself. sigh
    But, should look good when done. I am going to try to do a lot of work on the map this weekend, otherwise I may not get done in time.

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Harlasea - Grymnar 01a sample5.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	858.1 KB 
ID:	85610

It's so delicious to see this develop. Hope you'll be able to finish this beauty in time. Thanks J to give us this insight in your work process, it's so inspiring.

Splendid! Man, you're putting so much details... With the shades, colors and details, those plains are a delight.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

I have missed this last WIP. Looks great!

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

The trees, the relief, the texture... It all looks really great !
    Fantastic map !

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

this is gorgeous!

Quote Originally Posted by Warlin View Post
    It's so delicious to see this develop. Hope you'll be able to finish this beauty in time. Thanks J to give us this insight in your work process, it's so inspiring.
    I hope so too. Thanks Warlin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Splendid! Man, you're putting so much details... With the shades, colors and details, those plains are a delight.
    Thanks Ilanthar It has changed a bit since
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapiento View Post
    I have missed this last WIP. Looks great!
    Thanks Sap.
    Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    The trees, the relief, the texture... It all looks really great !
    Fantastic map !
    Thanks JO More to come.
    Quote Originally Posted by vorropohaiah View Post
    this is gorgeous!
    Thanks Nate lots still to do.

So, here's an update... much further along.
    We've even got a dragon friend starting over in the corner... burning up things.
    The right side shows the devastation being caused by all those wyvern back in the area.
    Had to make that sea more 'sapphire' as per the description.
    Anyways... here's the update...
    ### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Harlasea - Grymnar 01a sample13.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	2.46 MB 
ID:	85827

This really is gorgeous.... buuuuut...

(and now I'm about to get lynched by the entire CG community, so I'm already getting my running shoes on...)

Do you think the sea might look better if it wasn't quite so intense? Sapphires are variable in colour, some are even pink, (but I think a pink ocean on this particular map would look dreadful).

I just think the intensity of the ocean tends to blind me to all the very beautiful and much more subtle drawing work - the very lovely art of the land.

OK - I'm running!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast