Thread: Nön - Commission

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Map Nön - Commission

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nox_by_stratomunchkin-daddht1.png 
Views:	246 
Size:	968.5 KB 
ID:	86571

This is a commission for author William Dresden. It shows the coastal metropolis of Balgard and its surroundings, including an ancient portal and a set of obelisks (the Gore Stones) where the main four tribes living in the region swore allegiance to the Dark Lord.

© William Dresden 2016 - All rights reserved.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nox__alternative_version_by_stratomunchkin-dadrqti.png 
Views:	171 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	86572

I actually went and did an alternate version of the NOX map, purely done as a variant for myself. I went with the more orthodox black & white approach I had originally in mind, including a more elaborate border and a scale.

Edit: For those of you wondering why I labelled them NOX on DeviantArt: Umlaute. Deviantart doesn't take Umlaute in its titles.
    Last edited by Wired; 08-13-2016 at 09:25 AM.

Looks wonderful! I find it a little strange how the pine forests are 'individual trees' yet the deciduous is one big connected forest. Oh well, it's fine, I just got a little confused by it at first.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Looks wonderful! I find it a little strange how the pine forests are 'individual trees' yet the deciduous is one big connected forest. Oh well, it's fine, I just got a little confused by it at first.
    Hey Josiah! The difference is actually rather easily explained: the pine trees are a pine tree brush set to scatter and size jitter while the deciduous forest is completely hand drawn. I felt that if I went with a completely hand-drawn approach for the pine trees in the same style it would've ended up too dark and with too much of a contrast. Maybe I'll try the completely hand-drawn route for them with the next B&W map I start.

I'll have to second Josiah on the trees - I understand the reasoning behind it, but the result is a touch distracting nonetheless.

Other than that, however, I really dig the map! I personally kinda prefer the second version, although that's probably mainly because it's bigger and I can actually see the details better. And that border kicks ass, it looks just wonderful! Nice work on this, really nice indeed.

Before reading the comments, I kind of liked the forests and, even if I can second the surprise about the two types of trees, it's still good for me. The pine seems less dense than the deciduous but it's still pretty packed. Good one !

Great map! You've nailed that forest style, something I haven't gotten the hang of! And I love the shading used on the mountains!

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by thomrey View Post
    Before reading the comments, I kind of liked the forests and, even if I can second the surprise about the two types of trees, it's still good for me. The pine seems less dense than the deciduous but it's still pretty packed. Good one !
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos View Post
    Great map! You've nailed that forest style, something I haven't gotten the hang of! And I love the shading used on the mountains!

-Dan
    Thank you. Truth be told, I think that the deciduous forest I did here is probably the best I've created to date. Forests are just... argh, I never seem to get them done quite right.

Mmmmm.... Mountains... Such a style could surely be handrawn as well, will try to learn from your mountains. Thanks for posting! Great map! I especially love your ripples in the water *something I am SOOOO good at (coughs a thousand times)*.
    We all wish to create, but do we really create?
    What we draw and what we write is part of us.
    No we do not create, we simply discover who we are.
    **My maps have copyrights**

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Hey Wired, Im looking for someone to do a commission for me. I can provide a shaky hand-drawn and scanned map of my own creation as a guide, (As long as you promise not to make fun of me) as well as a full description of the area if needed. How much would you charge me for this project? Also, do you have an example of a city map you have done? My regular email is darkcommunionbook at gmail if contacting me there is easier for you.

Thanks!

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Thanks for the Private Message Wired, but I dont have the requisite number of posts to use the PM feature yet. (One closer now though, lol)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast