Thread: Ongoing Commission, World Map: earth-like; hi-res;

Default [Closed]Ongoing Commission, World Map: earth-like; hi-res;

I am looking to engage a cartographer in an ongoing commission to help me realize a map for a fictional world I'm creating called Veterrais.

The world is based on an early-earth Cretaceous Period map. You can find some examples here. (These examples are sourced from third-parties and should not be reshared, duplicated, or copied in any way)

There are some slight differences. For instance, in the 4th map, credited to GaryMotherPuckingOak (yeah yeah), you will notice a number of shallow seas. These were due to the lack of ice in that period because earth's temperatures were hotter than they are now. Many of these should be smaller, or non-existent. Details can be gone over if someone actually takes the commission.

Style, my hope for the style of the map is something similar to what was created by RDDNickel (3rd image). I'd like a flat map, but topographical features should have some distinction.

Quality & Size, the work should be professional or semi professional, I am aware that this ups the cost. I would prefer to be able to have access to the PDF or other raw file for the image. An accompanying vector map / outline would be much appreciated. The map should look good as a large poster, but can still be usable when scaled down.

Time Constraints, none, at the moment. It will take some back and forth to discuss details, negotiate commission price, and complete the project. As mentioned earlier, this is expected to be an ongoing project. The map will be completed in at least 2-3 steps, possibly more. As a result, I am not expecting to pressure or rush you, but I do expect, with payment, that the project be completed in a timely manner.

Copyright, this can also be discussed. The world I'm creating is intended to be an open source project. I am hoping to develop and use it in a potential game and I am certainly intending to use it for a story that I'm writing. However, I would like for it to be accessible to anyone that needs to use it. Any money that I might possibly make with its use would be because of content I have worked on that utilizes the map as a support. Royalties and other details can be discussed privately.

Contact Details, I would prefer a PM to start, and then move on to email. I realize I will need to post a few more times before this can happen.

Finally, this project is a long time coming for me. While it may take some time to develop the specific details of the map, the world and its story are something that I've spent years on. It is my sincere hope to find someone who is as excited as me to bring this world to life.
    Last edited by tesagk; 08-24-2016 at 06:38 AM.

Wow. The response to this has been incredible. I've got a number of offers and I think the best thing for me to do is go through those and see which works best for what I have in mind. Thank you, and I hope that I will be able to contribute back in time by helping others realize their own worlds.

Commission has been taken.

Thank you to all the professionals who responded. This is an "ongoing" commission, and I may need additional work in the future, for which the current professional may or may not be the best fit. I'll certainly let others know or create a separate commission if the latter is true.