Thread: Hardware for Wilbur

Guild Novice

Default Hardware for Wilbur

The moment for a new PC is here. I am looking for the machine which suits the best my needs.

Of course, one central point is: this machine MUST bring Wilbur maps to the sky and beyond. I am already thinking of insane resolution for planet size maps.

Up to now, I got my best results with an old Acer equipped with 64 bit processor and a dedicated Nvidia Gforce (2 GB of dedicated RAM). My finalists are some PC with Nvidia, one with Intel Iris, even a Macbok pro. My brothers are IT professionals, zealots of (respectively) Mac OS and Linux. This isn't helping

Now I read on Wilbur handbook something I have always suspected: the important things are the main processor and the RAM, not some fancy graphics hardware. Is this true? If Wilbur doesn't benefit from dedicated graphic hardware, then I'll choose something with a super processor and tons of RAM and no Nvidia. Please let me understand this point.

Wilbur uses very little in the way of the graphics hardware on your system. For fancy 3D views, a good OpenGL 1 driver and memory on the video card would be useful.

Memory subsystem performance (amount and speed of RAM) is the number one performance indicator for Wilbur if you're working with surfaces of any significant size. Swapping to disk will kill your performance. The amount of memory that Wilbur uses is very roughly (8*4+9)*width*height for the default configuration. using a 64-bit OS is your best bet, of course.