Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: MINOL - Where it all started

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Thanks for your comments.

I think I have to wait for the colours, to see what it gives.

The shadows are bright and orange now because of the color of the parchment. To draw those shadows, I just made a overlay layer, and draw the shadows with black. As it's in overlay, it darkens the place where I draw... And as for now, there's only the parchment, it darkens the parchment. When I'll put the colors, It will darken the colors, so it shouldn't be orange at all (except if my colours are too transparent).

... that's how I understand it... maybe I'm in for a very bad surprise once I draw the colours...
    But, as I'm fellowing the tutorial of Jon Roberts, I just trust the master... and hope for the best :-D

Let's see that tomorrow or sunday !

Thanks anyway for your comments,

Best regards

Here's the work of this week-end... with some colours... (some are still missing)

Thanks for your comments, critics, remarks...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Minol guild.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	9.43 MB 
ID:	87508

Oh what a beautiful pavement area you have drawn. That really is very special, even if it is just a little dark with detail compared to the rest of the village just yet

I'm sorry Jo - I still don't seem to feel all that comfortable with the shadows. They're still too hot for my liking :shrug:

Hello,

I don't get it : what do you mean by "too hot" ? Are they too "dark" ? Does it means that there is "too much sun" ?

Thanks for your explanation

Ok - here goes with a pretty difficult description (for me anyway).

If there was no reflected or refracted light in the world, all shadows would be impenetrably black. Blue light is refracted more easily than red or green light, so there tends to be more of it colouring an area of shade, where the only light is light that has been reflected or refracted (indirect light).

What this means is that no matter what colour a thing is, if it is in shade its colour will be not just darker, but tinted slightly bluer (or cooler) than the part of that same object that is illuminated by the direct white light on its unshaded side.

I hope that helps - I think I should stop trying to talk physics now, before I thoroughly confuse everyone with my pigeon arty-science talk! LOL

EDIT: I'm really rubbish at explaining stuff like this, but this guy isn't
    Last edited by Mouse; 09-11-2016 at 05:36 PM.

Although the linework and shading is excellent, I think the strange colours might be throwing it off a little. If you can get the right balance and pull it all together it would look incredible!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Really don't know what strange colours there are there? It looks like normal colours to me. Or are you referring to the shadows? Which, to be honest, I kind of like since they are easy to see into. I think there is a fair distinction to be made between a map and satellite photo realism. Realism does not necessarily make a map better or worse, it's just a different mode of conveyance of information.

I guess I just have bias towards photorealism LOL!

Thanks all of you for your inputs !
    It does help !

Thanks Mouse for the explanation : that's really interesting for me. I like to learn. Here, I don't know if I'll use this technique : I should do all the shadows all over again...
    But the video is really a good tutorial ! Amazing... Who would think that you need green to make shadow of a red object ? (Yeah, I know : all the persons who are a bit trained in arts... which, you undertood, I'm not !) :-D
    (The worst are often the enthusiastics non-trained people !)

For the colours, I'm not completely convinced. Maybe I have to complete the map to see how it goes ?
    I think, the problem is that I fellowed the tutorial of John Roberts (fantastic maps) to do this map, but I'm not sure his technique is efficient for my kind of map : I made too much details to play with overlays and colours layers ? That's why my colours are so transparent... When I look at it, I've the feeling that I've made a political map of a village (mmh that's maybe an idea for a story, no ?)

I'm not sure where I'll go now... I can finish this map with this technique, or try plain colours (more a J. Edwards kind of map...)

I'll have to think about it for a while, or maybe just give a short try with plain colours ?

Anyway, I thank you again for your help !
    your comments helps me not to stop the work, just because it's not what I want just right now..

Hey Jo - The things I said boil down to a personal opinion only. As others have pointed out since then, there is no real right or wrong way to do a thing, as long as you make the decision about where the map is going, and are happy with it.

By adding all that detail to my answer I wasn't trying to convince you to do anything a different way. I was only trying to answer the question you asked me - to explain why I in particular felt uncomfortable about the shadows

Its looking really great - even though its unfinished. The composition alone is pretty professional. Keep up the good work
    Last edited by Mouse; 09-12-2016 at 10:50 AM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast