Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: City of Shor

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shor Fields Test.png 
Views:	158 
Size:	2.62 MB 
ID:	100545
    So I've added most of the fields to this. I've still got to do all the little fiddly fields for the ones around the houses on the outskirts and in the walls. I think with the fields the whole of it looks better, I'm not sure if the fields themselves actually work or look good though. Also I'm wondering about three things, how to manage the field borders which in real life generally have bushes walls and trees between them. How to deal with the ground colour. And lastly how to deal with pavement/road spaces. And if with all those things it's better to do nothing.

All the colours for all the things are still place holders and approximations of the direction I'm thinking. I'm also getting much closer to finishing all the objects I think I'll need before I move to the next stage of the map, which is arranging the layers and doing the textures and things like that. I'm still not sure whether I should do a separate map for the upper level walkways and plateaus, but I think I will. So given that I plan to map the upper level, the temptation was always to map a lower level as well with sewers and such. But I think the nature of the land form precludes that as it wouldn't be very realistic (its low lying soil flat lands and probably prone to flooding, so there would be no room really for underground things, as well as the age this is set in they wouldn't really have that tech).

Whoa, now this is an ambitious undertaking Falconius. The layout looks really, really nice to me. The general shapes of the fields look good as well. You could always add the hedgerows later, during the next stage of laying down textures. That's what I tend to do when working with fields in a photorealistic style. Definitely going to keep tabs on your progress with this piece.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

This is a huge work, very precise, very neat ! Congratulations for your patience ! Looking forward to see where you're going with this !

Thanks guys,, I'm hoping I'll be able to make some more progress next week. Really not sure what I'll do with the ground and field transitions so I'll just work on other stuff. Coupled with those issues are the tree issues, should I should I not, it's never very clear. I guess I'll have to refer back to Ilanthars floating city map and see how he solved these things.

Oh darn! I missed this thread till now...

If I had been here at the beginning I would have agreed with you about turning the ground level darker and the higher levels paler. Transitions between levels than automatically look right, though it would have made the whole city look rather dark if you hadn't made the buildings white to indicate a higher level that way around... if you see what I mean.

As it is, however, I've left it far too late to make that kind of comment, so you can ignore that one quite safely.

That sculpture is GORGEOUS!

I mean... the minotaur is horribly ugly, but your sculpture of him is gorgeous

Time for my once a year update
    I finally finished the fields I think.
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shor_Feilds_done.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	3.60 MB 
ID:	111023
    I have some new plans for it, as one would after so long so there are still yet more things to add. I'm thinking of including the upper level just super imposed on whats already here, maybe with some transparency. Still not too sure how I'm going to go about labeling it, I'm just not a fan of the numbering system despite it being the most practical and its ease of use in some ways. I may go for a combo of numbering system and direct labeling.

(and now of course after uploading it I've noticed some garden areas I forgot to finish...)

I don't recall seeing this thread before, though it has been a year!

It's looking good. I like the clean look. What software are you using for this?

Not sure what to suggest about the labelling. I suppose it depends on how many labels you plan to include. Text labels for key buildings, and numbers for anything else, would probably work just fine.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

The variety of building shapes is lovely. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    I don't recall seeing this thread before, though it has been a year!
    I plan to finish it soon* next couple of months I'm hoping.
    It's looking good. I like the clean look. What software are you using for this?
    It's all in Inkscape so far. I intend to export the layers separately and colour them in a raster program a little later on.
    Not sure what to suggest about the labelling. I suppose it depends on how many labels you plan to include. Text labels for key buildings, and numbers for anything else, would probably work just fine.
    I think I've got a ways to go before I really have to worry about that, and I'm not sure I want to come up with fifty names let alone what would likely be more than a hundred or two hundred names.
    Quote Originally Posted by JsinOwl View Post
    The variety of building shapes is lovely. Well done.
    Thanks JsinOwl

Hmm, looking great so far ! What a wide playground for an imaginative mind !!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast