Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: City of Shor

Default City of Shor

While I've not made too much progress on the city since the challenge, I have made a few little changes: (yeah it's in really garbage resolution)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shoriim6.jpg 
Views:	415 
Size:	862.1 KB 
ID:	87717
    My main curiosity is how well the walk way transition as seen here works:

Name:	walkway transition.png 
Views:	102 
Size:	132.0 KB 
ID:	87718
    It is supposed to be a ramp leading from ground level (white) to the top of the walkway (brown). I'm not sure how well it works. I've been considering perhaps altering the colours entirely so that objects closer to the ground get darker as they go down, not sure if that is a good plan though (so for instance the roofs would all be a lighter colour than the ground, but darker than the plateaus or walls which are generally higher.). Keep in mind I intend to do a secondary map of the upper level of the city which would show the top of the walkways and plateaus.

Also new is an experimental park in the top right quadrant of the map and the grey monument indicators (one of which can be seen in the cropped image).

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I like very much your city !
    Specially those huge buildings ! That's impressive to imagine them in the reality ! The city must be majestuous (? is that word correct ?)

For your ramp, you might just put out the line at the top of the ramp : that might help understanding that the top is at the same level as the walkway. So you would have just a fade of white to brown that might help understanding the changing of level ?
    Actually, it's difficult to understand at the first sight that the brown is over the white. Maybe it's because of this kind of passageway, south-west from the ramp... It gives the impression that the brown is a kind of a river, and that the white passage with the brown dots is a bridge.

Anyway, that's just a detail in the whole map, which is really impressive... and must represent so much work !

What a task you have taken on with nice results so far. Hope you can keep plugging away at it. I'm a little scared of the city maps because I don't know if I could stay with them all the way through the details but I like what you have done so far.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Thank you both. I've tried to make the walkway's without the line and it also confusing, I think I'm going to have to change the colour scheme all around for it to make visual sense. I've taken a sculpting break from this to make one of the minotaurs, since I couldn't actually draw it. Just got to figure out how to dress him and that's soon done and I'll return to this. To be frank I've been keeping track of the time spent on this and it's embarrassingly long, I can't just throw that all away, so that's one way to motivate yourself to keep going Jaxilon . I've swam so far it's too late to turn back . Also I really like the lore I've got for this piece and that's another strong motivation. Besides essentially all the pieces are done and I've just got to put them together pleasingly at this point. Right? Right?...

Well, since Shor has gotten me really distracted with Blender (I wanted to solve my problems with it and went off on a tangent). Since it's not going to do anything but travel around my shelves for a while, here is the Minotaur sculpt/sketch that I couldn't draw:

Name:	DSCF7043 (Copy).JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	617.8 KB 
ID:	88949
    I think a man would come up to around the bottom of his armband. Also that head is enormous. Didn't look that way until the photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Well, since Shor has gotten me really distracted with Blender (I wanted to solve my problems with it and went off on a tangent). Since it's not going to do anything but travel around my shelves for a while, here is the Minotaur sculpt/sketch that I couldn't draw:

Name:	DSCF7043 (Copy).JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	617.8 KB 
ID:	88949
    I think a man would come up to around the bottom of his armband. Also that head is enormous. Didn't look that way until the photo.
    Dude that is amazing! Very solid work, great fundamentals. Will you be doing fine texturing on it or leaving it alone now?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What a beast! Your certainly have a gift for sculpting!

Thanks you two. No I don't think I'll texture it until it's time to make a mold, and I don't have enough things ready right now to spring for the silicone.

The style you've chosen to depict this city in is very clean and readable. It's immediately evident where the important structures lie. Looking forward to seeing some more updates. That Minotaur sculpture is pretty killer as well!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

That minotaur is truly epic !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast