Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cities Skylines

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Default Cities Skylines

I've been watching Youtube videos about Cities Skylines which looks pretty cool, kinda like SimCity but far more flexible and moddable. Has anyone played with it for creating their city maps? It looks fun.

It's definitely fun. I haven't played the new Simcity because it got such terrible reviews so I can't compare. City Skylines though is very powerful I've thought a few times about using it specifically for mapping purposes. It's port building is small/unrealistic but that's about it. Also there is issues with plots and curved roads since it builds in a grid system of either 5x5 or 4x4 (can't remember) and it bases the layout for those plots on the road edge so on inside curves it drops plots and on outside curves the plots can end up thiner and also form wedges of empty space. It does a fairly good job of making things seem full anyways though so its not a big deal. I think it's biggest strength is it's logistics detail, it's not perfect, but it sure is fun to play with.

A big advantage of course is that you get to test your map and see if it actually works which always seems like a big plus to me. I think it'd be neat if a developer made some period based city sims like renaissance, ancient Greek or Egyptian, and medieval for the same reason, but alas...

I honestly prefer the transportation system of Cities XL series but the demographic mechanics makes it awful. Also, the resources management is very annoying, the game feel incomplete, I don't recommend unless you can get it on a big sale.

Sim city 2013 (and the series in general) biggest problem is the bad pathfinding https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcEaHT9mt-Y

Everything Sim city does and almost everything Cities XL does except maybe transportation, Cities skylines does it better. It's also more computer intensive Although my computer meets the requirements, I do hit the population cap way before the whole map is filled. The map is pretty big if you unlock all the parcels.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    I think it'd be neat if a developer made some period based city sims like renaissance, ancient Greek or Egyptian, and medieval for the same reason, butalas...
    It looks like there are lots of mods available and it's been out for a year, so perhaps there are, or will be, more diverse building sets. There's certainly a few medieval European items. You can also import heightmaps and have image overlays to build existing or predesigned cities - I'm tempted to try out on of my Helevos cities just to see how they'd work in "real life"!

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Carbus's Avatar

IMHO I think it's the best City Building out there! It might not be the most complex, but it is the most enjoyable one. They have tons of mods, that add some more complexity like water collection, more complex traffic, etc. I used to like Cities XL, but now for me Cities Skyline is the king, after the failure that was the newest Sim City. I highly recommend the game.

I just downloaded it, then I looked up and five hours had passed! Too addictive

Yeah, that's why I don't touch the stuff anymore. :p

Blog Entries

on
    h t t p : / / w w w .citiesskylines.com/
    the requirments are listed as Win7 and 8

10 has been out for a year and REALLY REALLY REALLY PUSHED!!!!! by Microsoft

but there is NO mention of it running on 10 ????????

and it lists a UNSUPPORTED!!! version of ububtu
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Guild Member

Info

Quote Originally Posted by johnvanvliet View Post
    on
    h t t p : / / w w w .citiesskylines.com/
    the requirments are listed as Win7 and 8

10 has been out for a year and REALLY REALLY REALLY PUSHED!!!!! by Microsoft

but there is NO mention of it running on 10 ????????

and it lists a UNSUPPORTED!!! version of ububtu
    Hi johnvanvliet,

For any older program you can always try 'Compatibility Mode' in Windows 10 (or 7 and 8 for that matter) which allows you to run a program as though it was in a older version of the OS (even 95, or XP!). Simply right click any program file (.exe etc), and select Properties. From the Properties box, select the Compatibility Tab and either run the troubleshooter to help you select, or select the 'Run this program in compatibility mode for:' and select Win7 or Win8.

Hope this helps!
    Ra

It runs fine in Windows 10, the game was just released before Win10 was out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast