Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: My Worlds Atlas example

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected zhar2's Avatar

Well every single town will have a name, rivers and features too, all based on a toponymy method I devised to help me out (so basically every name will have a base meaning and origin and not random). I had a tiny program written to help generate toponyms with meaning and that will follow the rules (phonetic, grammatical and toponym customs) of the languages they belong to (or protolanguages as each language family has one protolanguage for some depth), I will release this custom made tool to you guys once im further along if theres interest in using it.

I estimate that the final atlas will have around 2 million place names.

I have been dedicating most of my free time to this project, i was tempted to set up a kickstarter to see if I could take a work hiatus for two years to complete it (work on it full time) but not sure how to set one up.

Wow. Just wow. This is truly a world on its own. The languages and 400 maps and everything is really impressive in scope. I'd love to get a glimpse of the whole world, just to put it in perspective...

thank you!, its just taking for ever, today that ive been free ive worked on some maps and dynasties. it seems like theres always more and more to do.

Guild Member Facebook Connected woodb3kmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zhar2 View Post
    Well every single town will have a name, rivers and features too, all based on a toponymy method I devised to help me out (so basically every name will have a base meaning and origin and not random). I had a tiny program written to help generate toponyms with meaning and that will follow the rules (phonetic, grammatical and toponym customs) of the languages they belong to (or protolanguages as each language family has one protolanguage for some depth), I will release this custom made tool to you guys once im further along if theres interest in using it.
    I, for one, would be very interested in using such a program. I'm more of the "random names" kind of person, despite my history with conlanging, so a simple tool to make toponymy easier would be a godsend - to myself and many others here, I'm sure. If your program is robust enough to make two million place names (though obviously not all at once), it's doubtless more than adequate for less ambitious projects.

More than 400 maps and 2 million place names?! You're crazy (but, evidently, in a good way ). It's looking great. Can't wait to see more.

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Well this is how it works, it generates words by mutating input from 4 different source files (basically just text files, vertical list), it uses a core word root file and, suffix, infix, and prefix files. you can choose the frequency of infix, suffix and prefixes. the app is actually two, one for toponyms and one for generating custom random words using custom rules you can create (got a guide on how to do that) with constraints on what can be used set by you (fyi its limited to using ASCII characters so it cant use IPA characters so what i normally do is substitude lets say ć for a $ and then replace them back after the list of words generated out.

It can output as many words as you need and removes all duplicates so you don't have to worry about that.

Its simple but rather powerful.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mash.png 
Views:	69 
Size:	13.2 KB 
ID:	88424
    Last edited by zhar2; 10-12-2016 at 06:39 AM.

More updates, sorry for the resize (the raw files are BIG)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	canvas-EXAMPLE.png 
Views:	138 
Size:	3.23 MB 
ID:	88439

Another update that whets my appetite for your project even more. I just wish you could show us a higher resolution for the maps. You can't see any of the details in this, unfortunately. The land-shapes are very good, though, right up my alley.

Looking forward to more.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Since I'm working on batches (layer per layer as per the method i designed, ugh I know I got a drone like mind, I tend to workout assembly line like solutions) none of the maps are a refined finish, I will release many in full resolution (the final resolution is still undecided, right now they are 9298x6768 px) once I give them quality control passes and add landmarks and decorations.

And thank you everyone for the rep, I just don't know how to reply to say thanks from the notifications (Not that I am being haughty, just ignorant lol)

Wow, just loving the absolute art and commitment that is coming out of this. A lot of dedicated detail to not only creating the map, but naming everything on a local level. Now that's the sort of project I can get behind.

Loving the work on display, that's for sure!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast