Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: October 2016 challenge: Dracula, The Origins of a Name

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Looking good Kacey! Not too much to say at this point other than keep up the good work!

Also, those mountains are really consistently done, at first glance it almost looks like you just grabbed a brush of one and put a few down. I think it's a good thing that you've managed to pull off that effect, but equally, perhaps they're too consistent, I'm not sure. But, having said that, I reckon in terms of the style and age you're aiming for, that's probably nailing it.

Whatever the case, great linework and work all round so far!

The mountains are looking very good.

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by GLS View Post
    Looking good Kacey! Not too much to say at this point other than keep up the good work!

Also, those mountains are really consistently done, at first glance it almost looks like you just grabbed a brush of one and put a few down. I think it's a good thing that you've managed to pull off that effect, but equally, perhaps they're too consistent, I'm not sure. But, having said that, I reckon in terms of the style and age you're aiming for, that's probably nailing it.

Whatever the case, great linework and work all round so far!
    Thanks GLS, I'm using a few old maps for reference to do the different elements, one for the boxes, and one for the mountains. I'm trying to match them as best I can, the mountains I'm trying to emulate are very consistent so it was intended. I wish I could use a brush, it would make my life much easier, but I find they just don't work as well as doing them by hand.

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    The mountains are looking very good.
    Thanks Bogie, I appreciate it. I wasn't so sure about the mountains so this gives me reassurance to move forward.

Guild Expert

I got some shading done on the title box this morning, so just wanted to post a quick update.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	October Challenge, Romania title box.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	8.32 MB 
ID:	88527

Another great map from you Kacey. Your mountains are really well drawn and you manage to render an old and used map feeling. Keep up this great work.

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Warlin View Post
    Another great map from you Kacey. Your mountains are really well drawn and you manage to render an old and used map feeling. Keep up this great work.
    Thanks Warlin, I'm glad to hear that the old, used feeling is coming across.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Ohhhkayyy! That title box is exquisite. Beautiful. This is some great attention to the details of the genre here, really nice work.

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Meshon View Post
    Ohhhkayyy! That title box is exquisite. Beautiful. This is some great attention to the details of the genre here, really nice work.
    Thanks Meshon.

Guild Expert

I decided to completely scrap the mountain shading I had previously done, there was just something bugging me about it, it’s probably that I wasn’t confident while doing the line work, I’m still not, and I think it shows a bit, even after shading the mountains three time before finally throwing my hands up, and settling on this version. I may or may not darken the lines depending on how much the text stands out against them when I get to it.

Still have to add some smaller hills, and such, but I’m going to place cities first so I can work around them.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	October Challenge, Romania new mnt style.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	8.45 MB 
ID:	88628

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast