Thread: Old School style practice map

Map Old School style practice map

Hey Guys & Gals,

Recently my group and I have been playing the 3.5E version of Tomb of Horrors, since we started it's kind of got me back to mapping and visiting here more often. Anywho, I decided after revisiting some of the tutorials here and elsewhere, particular Torstan's on how to do an "old school blue" map, I thought I'd give one a try. I created the furnishing (except for the natural cavern stairs) in illustrator and then created my map.

This, for me is probably 3-4 hours work as I've never used illustrator before and I had to re-acquaint myself with photoshop.

I've still got more things I'd like to add and try. Any comments, suggestions would be welcome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OldSchoolPractice.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	661.3 KB 
ID:	88550
    Last edited by damonjynx; 11-01-2016 at 03:43 AM.
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by damonjynx View Post
    Hey Guys & Gals,

Recently my group and I have been playing the 3.5E version of Tomb of Horrors, since we started it's kind of got me back to mapping and visiting here more often. Anywho, I decided after revisiting some of the tutorials here and elsewhere, particular Torstan's on how to do an "old school blue" map, I thought I'd give one a try. I created the furnishing (except for the natural cavern stairs) in illustrator and then created my map.

This, for me is probably 3-4 hours work as I've never used illustrator before and I had to re-acquaint myself with photoshop.

I've still got more things I'd like to add and try. Any comments, suggestions would be welcome.

Name:	OldSchoolPractice.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	661.3 KB 
ID:	88550
    Hey Damonjynx,

I like the old-school look, it's pretty true to flavour and I like the overall layout!

Generally from a map perspective, a few things I'd look at would be having an entrance or exit lead to the edge of the image, or at least to obvious stairs. I would probably also extend the walls in thin lines across the doorways and then have the doors in them. I also was a bit confused by the (one-way?) door against the wall leading to the north of the main room in the bottom right of your map.

Can't wait to see the final result. Love RPG maps of all genres.

Ra.

Quote Originally Posted by RaNaketh View Post
    Hey Damonjynx,

I like the old-school look, it's pretty true to flavour and I like the overall layout!

Generally from a map perspective, a few things I'd look at would be having an entrance or exit lead to the edge of the image, or at least to obvious stairs. I would probably also extend the walls in thin lines across the doorways and then have the doors in them. I also was a bit confused by the (one-way?) door against the wall leading to the north of the main room in the bottom right of your map.

Can't wait to see the final result. Love RPG maps of all genres.

Ra.
    Thanks RaNaketh. This is more just practice, trying out a few things. Some good suggestions there. In a previous attempt I did have the walls going across the doorways but I deleted that map and started again, I will put them back in along with an entrance and possibly, an alternate exit. I may also lose the brick texture, or just keep it for the walls? I'm guessing the door your referring to is the one on the same horizontal grid as the statue? It is meant to be there but I need to fix it so it's marked with a "T" and is set like a normal door, i.e. attached to a wall, rather than being in front of it. In the Tomb of Horrors, there are a number of false doors that are traps for the unwary...
    *edit* changes done

Name:	OldSchoolPracticeV2.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	658.5 KB 
ID:	88565
    Last edited by damonjynx; 10-17-2016 at 10:14 PM. Reason: attachment added

Finished Maps

Next iteration. I got rid of the brick texture, it really wasn't doing it for me and changed the colour along with a minor mod to the treasure room. There needs to be enough room for it's summoned guardian...

Views:	62 
Size:	207.6 KB 
ID:	88570

A few more features and I'll call it done.
    Last edited by damonjynx; 10-18-2016 at 03:23 AM.

Finished Maps

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by damonjynx View Post
    Next iteration. I got rid of the brick texture, it really wasn't doing it for me and changed the colour along with a minor mod to the treasure room. There needs to be enough room for it's summoned guardian...

Views:	62 
Size:	207.6 KB 
ID:	88570

A few more features and I'll call it done.
    It all makes sense now, and looks good too. Quick and easy dungeon map, nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by RaNaketh View Post
    It all makes sense now, and looks good too. Quick and easy dungeon map, nice work!
    Thanks RaNaketh. Don't know about that, the dungeon part itself is relatively quick and easy, creating the objects in Illustrator then adding them in, not so much - at least not for me anyways. I'll try and finish it over the weekend and post it up.

Finished Maps

This is looking nice. I have to say however that I don't think the bevel and emboss adds anything to the overall piece. Personally I think it would look better without.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks Arsheesh, to be perfectly honest I agree with you, the bevel and emboss takes away from the 'old-school' look and feel. Got a bit bored at work and decided to finish it...viola, my finished old-school map.

There is probably a ton of stuff I could do to it, Key etc, but I figured anyone who wants to use it will probably have a fair idea of what's what, the symbols are all very standard.

Name:	OldSchool_Final.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	215.6 KB 
ID:	89021
    Last edited by damonjynx; 10-31-2016 at 09:17 PM. Reason: update

Finished Maps

Love these old-school dungeon maps. The modern ones I mostly see now just seem "cluttered".