Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sleeping Sun Map

I love the coast line and the composition. It also has a really great atmosphere. Great job!

I love the coastlines, the general composition and the colors but the thing that got me is the simplicity of your mountains and the top shelf shading (I'm a shading b*tch, think I gotta acknowledge it at some point). A real nice map !
    Last edited by ThomasR; 10-25-2016 at 04:34 AM.

Guild Apprentice Cartography Dragon's Avatar

Very nice! I like your mountains a lot, and the forests are good too - they fit the tone of the map well. Overall it's a very nice map; my only critique is that, as Diamond said, the difference between the ruins and the cities is very subtle - perhaps too subtle.
    A dragon with a penchant for mapmaking

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thomrey View Post
    (I'm a shading b*tch, think I gotta acknowledge it at some point).
    There needs to be a badge for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    There needs to be a badge for that.
    I second that !

Blog Entries

I'm glad to see a lot of positive feedback has already been offered in this thread, since I know how helpful that can be when one doesn't see the value in one's own map! There are a lot of good things to say about this, and I agree with most of what's already been offered in the thread.

In terms of analyzing why this map might not have worked for you, I think Diamond's two critiques were spot on. I would not have noticed the roads if not for his comment. I also think the map's rivers are lacking inspiration. I'm not quite sure what I mean by this. Very abstract, I know. They are technically correct.
    The best maps are the ones we like the most after looking at the longest.

The different elements works well together, very harmonious and pleasant map. I agree with others about the maybe a bit dark and the roads, though.
    Well done!

Thank you, everyone, for the nice comments! Looking at this again after a few days, it probably isn't as bad as it seemed. Every critique has been noted and is appreciated - I don't think there has been anything said I didn't agree on. Like I said, there are quite a few elements I wasn't happy to begin with.

I can't tell you how much I love this site. The community here is so friendly and helpful, I am so glad I found this place. You guys rock!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12