Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ersïa

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar
    ...yes, it come from shaded relief maps of Earth... or Mars.
    May I ask, where did you find those shaded reliefs? Is it from an online resource?

Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

Yes, I love it! I think it is much clearer than before, especially with the relief-style you can almost feel the land rise above the surface!

May I ask, where did you find those shaded reliefs? Is it from an online resource?
    I wonder that, too. They are really lovely! =)
    Visit me on ArtStation.

By Daelin
    Sure . For Mars, it's an oldie from USGS/Nasa (one or the other... or both). For Earth, it come from naturalearthdata.com.

By Steffen Brand
    Yes, I love it! I think it is much clearer than before, especially with the relief-style you can almost feel the land rise above the surface!
    Glad you like it and good to know ! And now, the sea seems a bit flat, though. I'll try to improve it.

I like the new version, the relief are more focused. The colors are great too and thanks for the NASA source

By Thomrey
    I like the new version, the relief are more focused. The colors are great too and thanks for the NASA source
    Thanks, and you're welcome .

I tried a quick thing to make the seas more "alive" and less flat. Thoughts?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ersïa.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	89145
    I think I'm gonna do some tests about rivers/borders/labels before painting the other continents.

Great shapes, colors are looking good... all in all an exciting project. I will keep an eye on this.
    I have to agree with the others, those reliefs are fantastic!
    Cartography by Matthias Rothenaicher. Portfolio: Website | DeviantArt

Thanks a lot Mat_r !

After more thoughts, I won't put the main rivers. I did a test about capitals and borders. Conventional, but I think it works...

Name:	Border capital test.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	89151
    I don't know what to do about labels. Should I use the fictional script? A transcription in latin (close to phonetic, but not completely phonetic)? In english (partly approximate then)? Mixed with english?

Name:	Alphabet or.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	89152 or Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alphabet latin.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	89153

Name:	English.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	89154 or Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mixed.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	89155
    What do you think/prefer? It's pretty clear that I won't have the place to put both options for countries...

I would choose either full latin or full english, but its my subjective opinion.

I think a fictional script would really be cool with this map, though it will be hard for us to really make sense of it I guess. But yeah, I would certainly find it interesting ;P

-Dan

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Sure . For Mars, it's an oldie from USGS/Nasa (one or the other... or both). For Earth, it come from naturalearthdata.com.
    Thanks! I like natural earthdata.com. That's a really cool site. Don't know why I haven't found it before. Maps using these resources to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar
    I don't know what to do about labels.
    Personally, I don't like cursive fonts. I like clean angular lettering. I also don't like pseudo-fantasy fonts that look like a fictional language, but is really just overtly ornate Latin lettering. That makes it too complicated to read the labels, and takes away the fun of reading the names. But that's just a subjective thing, you might have a totally different preference, and that's cool. Aesthetically, I'm a minimalist, I guess. But I'd say, the actual names, whether you want to name your city "Bluetown" or "Aarkhaalthaarkinaenyotep - Ruined City where the Skull-eater God doth Dwell", that's up to you, and the world that you are building. If you want to use a fictional language, with weird or cool-looking fonts, heck, then go for it. As long as it "fits" with the universe of the map - and the only person who decides that is, well, you.
    Last edited by Daelin; 11-05-2016 at 11:43 AM.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast