Thread: Map of Aera

Help Map of Aera

Background
    I’m a hobbyist programmer and wannabe game-designer and together with a good friend (sadly another programmer) we are currently working on an uncommercial 2d fantasy strategy/management game comparable to ancient titles like “Merchant Prince” or “The Patrician”. As my earlier remark suggests, we’re experiencing a serious lack of competence in the artistic department. So here I am, trying to hire a cartographer.

While it might not seem reasonable to ask for a finished map at the current state of our project (a bunch of design documents and loose mechanics held together by dried coffee stains), we believe, that a professional looking artwork will boost our motivation. At least it will be more pleasant to look at than my childlike doodling and sterile code-generated elements.

Project scope / Setting
    A single map of the continent “Aera“; which is part of a much larger (but uncharted) earth sized planet. The map will be used in a video game for desktop PCs and thus requires a reasonable resolution. The overall setting may be compared to the typical Dungeons & Dragons fantasy scenario.
    Further details are provided below:
    • max. 5000x5000 km in size
    • surrounded by water in the north, east and west
    • a great desert blocks the path to the south
    • different biomes such as glaciers, tundra, deserts, swamps …
    • several “distinctive” locations that spark the viewers mind

These are the rough details we came up with and they're not set in stone. We'll be relying a great deal on your advise throughout this project.

A <10 page “World & Lore” document (WIP) is available for intrigued artists. This document provides more details to the world and the different fantasy races inhabiting it.

Style
    This one is a bit problematic for me. I’ve browsed through the galleries and other resources and there simply are way too many appealing styles out there. So I’ll leave this point with the following featureless statement:

We require a map that looks authentic* and yet is pleasant to look at.
    (* Like it was created by someone living in this fantasy world and by using available resources)

As settlements and such are being handled by the game engine, these features don’t need to be drawn. However we’d appreciate it, if the artist could provide/indicate suitable locations for placing them as well as roads connecting those locations.

Quality & Size
    As mentioned before, the map will be used in a desktop application and requires a reasonable dimension. As the game engine is unable to handle vector drawings we require a traditional file format such as .jpg, .png or even .psd (or similar if you’re willing to distribute layered source files).

Copyright
    The artist will retain the copyright. Publisher retains the right to reproduce the map.

Deadline
    Flexible. We’d love to get our hands on an early sketch within the next weeks so we can set it up in the game engine and start playing around with it. A final version would be appreciated within the next 3-4 months.

Payment
    Please contact me to discuss rates.

Contact
    As I’ve just arrived here I may not use the PM system yet. I hope someone here’s willing to discuss this request with me so we can get around that problem in a bit.

For now you may privately contact me by e-mail. Just combine my username with “@posteo.de”.

Best regards
    Neovertex

Edit:
    Fixed a typo. (thx jylny)
    Last edited by Neovertex; 01-25-2017 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Fixed a typo.

Is "...blocks the path the south" supposed to be "...blocks the path to the south"?

Also, for the lore doc, have you thought about keeping it on a google doc for easy access?

Sent an email with some more questions

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

You've got mail.

I have sent you an email! (:

Hi,

I'm sorry for the late update to this.

Thanks for all of your replies and e-mails. We've got a lot of input and a good overview about the many different styles available. In the end we've decided to hire a local artist who practically lives next door to my place (we're living in a very small world ...).

This request is now taken and I kindly ask a moderator to edit it accordingly.

Have a nice day
    Neovertex