Thread: National Geographic

Info National Geographic

National Geographic have an interactive map web app to play about with. There are various base maps and you can do some limited drawing on them. The layers tab is particularly interesting, you can add all manner of features such as population densities with natural disaster hotspots and plate tectonics or wheat production and language diversity.

I guess this is mainly for map and data anoraks like myself but it may be useful to gain insight into how the 'real' world is made up and apply some of the principles to fantasy worlds.

edit: oops I forgot the linky http://mapmaker.nationalgeographic.org/?ls=000000000000
    Last edited by Straf; 11-15-2016 at 04:06 AM. Reason: Forgot the link! Duh.

Question Awesome tool!

Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
    National Geographic have an interactive map web app to play about with. There are various base maps and you can do some limited drawing on them. The layers tab is particularly interesting, you can add all manner of features such as population densities with natural disaster hotspots and plate tectonics or wheat production and language diversity.

I guess this is mainly for map and data anoraks like myself but it may be useful to gain insight into how the 'real' world is made up and apply some of the principles to fantasy worlds.

edit: oops I forgot the linky http://mapmaker.nationalgeographic.org/?ls=000000000000
    Are the maps you make in this program allowed to be reproduced? Could I include them in a book print?
    Thanks!

This is super useful for world building and getting insight to other cultures, thanks for sharing!