Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The old watch Inn

I love it, Jo

I have to admit its been a while. I'd almost forgotten this one with all the other lovely maps you've been drawing in the last couple of months.

No one else has mentioned it, I know, which makes me wonder if its just me, but do you think it would look even better if you gave those floor plans just a couple more millimetres space between them and the edge of the frame?

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by whisper_my_name View Post
    That well is pristine!!! hahaha. I'm sure you will be adding some distressing factors to the cobblestone, and the well. I think it looks great though. Thanks for sharing.
    Thnks a lot... though it's not a well, but a semi-destroyed tower... I still have to work on the shadows to make it obvious

Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos View Post
    Very nice Inn Jo! You've done an amazing job on the tiles of the tower roof.
    Thanks ! I used a tutorial found here in the guild, for Illustrator... I had to adapt it, but I think it worked not so bad...

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    The map is gorgeous and I love the subtle shadows but the gallow-y frame is what wins my heart on this
    Thanks a lot Thomas... I'm glad you liked it... I thought about that frame for months... that's the best I could think, regarding the subject...

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I love it, Jo

I have to admit its been a while. I'd almost forgotten this one with all the other lovely maps you've been drawing in the last couple of months.

No one else has mentioned it, I know, which makes me wonder if its just me, but do you think it would look even better if you gave those floor plans just a couple more millimetres space between them and the edge of the frame?
    Thanks Mouse ! I see what you mean and I'll see what I can do about it...

Here's an update... I worked on the courtyard and the paved road because as Mouse and Whisper my name said, it was too new and neat. So I spent the day destroying that road... !

I worked on the plan of the first floor too... it's really a long term work

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Auberge du guet 01.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	7.40 MB 
ID:	103813

The amount of detail you've put into those buildings is truly astounding. The border is also very impressive. Great stuff!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    The amount of detail you've put into those buildings is truly astounding. The border is also very impressive. Great stuff!
    Thanks ! Coming from you, it's a real big compliment... So I hope you'll like this update :

Name:	Auberge guet guild 03.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	7.85 MB 
ID:	103900

Another update with some corrections for the perspective of the leather painting, I added shadows for this painting and a paved courtyard for th bottom frame

Name:	Auberge guet guild 04.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	7.87 MB 
ID:	103982

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

The sheer detail and dedication you put into each of you maps is really inspiring, Joel!

This one in particular as I'm just finishing up an inn map myself. I may just have to steal your idea of the inn sign title if that's alright with you...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    The sheer detail and dedication you put into each of you maps is really inspiring, Joel!

This one in particular as I'm just finishing up an inn map myself. I may just have to steal your idea of the inn sign title if that's alright with you...
    Of course, you're welcome ! And thanks for your kind words !
    It's funny how's perception : I found most of my work sloppy ... I know that I could be a lot more thorough in drawing the details, and I see in every of my maps all the places where my stroke is not finished, where the colors does not fill completely the surface, and so on...
    I still have that crazy idea that someday I'll be patient enough to carry all my attention to every stroke in a map, and that I'll take all the time needed, without impatiently jumping to the fellowing step (just to see how it'll looks...)... Someday, maybe... meanwhile, I have too much ideas, too much maps waiting in my head to be drawn and never enough time...
    I guess it's more or less the same for anyone ?

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Of course, you're welcome ! And thanks for your kind words !
    It's funny how's perception : I found most of my work sloppy ... I know that I could be a lot more thorough in drawing the details, and I see in every of my maps all the places where my stroke is not finished, where the colors does not fill completely the surface, and so on...
    I still have that crazy idea that someday I'll be patient enough to carry all my attention to every stroke in a map, and that I'll take all the time needed, without impatiently jumping to the fellowing step (just to see how it'll looks...)... Someday, maybe... meanwhile, I have too much ideas, too much maps waiting in my head to be drawn and never enough time...
    I guess it's more or less the same for anyone ?
    Haha, yeah, I think you've summed it up pretty well. Almost all of my maps, I can see something I've done in a rush, something not quite right, something where I think I've mashed lines together horribly, but that's always the curse of any art, or any endeavour I guess. You always see the "flaws" because you've lived through them and been up close and personal with it all.

Strangely enough with my inn map, the second part of what you say really comes through, as I've hopped all over the place on that one. Putting in colours, shadows, etc here and there without even finishing up the layout or the linework.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Strangely enough with my inn map, the second part of what you say really comes through, as I've hopped all over the place on that one. Putting in colours, shadows, etc here and there without even finishing up the layout or the linework.
    Yeah... it's the "let me see ! Let me see !" Syndrom... You somehow know that it'll be better looking with colors and shadows, so you want to see it straight away... It's really a work on oneself, learning patience and self confidence... Maps makes us better women and men !

... And now I have to stop my medics...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast