Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The old watch Inn

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'overloaded'. It looks beautiful to me

If there is just one thing, however, its the size and tone of the trees/bushes. I didn't really notice them last time because I was absorbing the glorious detail of the floorplans, but if they are trees then they should be quite a lot larger than they are. They are also the darkest thing in the map by a very long way - in the map being anything not part of the frame or insets. Even if they are cypress trees, and therefore tall thin and relatively dark, I still think they could do with being only a couple of shades darker than the grass just to blend them with the landscape a little more. The spread is a bit too regular - mostly pairs of trees spaced along either side of the road.

Looking very cool! Maybe it's just me but to my eye the cliffs look a little flat.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'overloaded'. It looks beautiful to me

If there is just one thing, however, its the size and tone of the trees/bushes. I didn't really notice them last time because I was absorbing the glorious detail of the floorplans, but if they are trees then they should be quite a lot larger than they are. They are also the darkest thing in the map by a very long way - in the map being anything not part of the frame or insets. Even if they are cypress trees, and therefore tall thin and relatively dark, I still think they could do with being only a couple of shades darker than the grass just to blend them with the landscape a little more. The spread is a bit too regular - mostly pairs of trees spaced along either side of the road.
    Hi Mouse ! Thanks for your comments... So I did made the trees (that are supposed to be pines...) bigger and a bit lighter (pines are usually quite dark)... Tell me what you think !

Quote Originally Posted by QED42 View Post
    Looking very cool! Maybe it's just me but to my eye the cliffs look a little flat.
    Thanks for your comment... I added a bit of texture on the cliffs... and then, I looked at the grass... and added a bit of texture too on the grass... I think both are less flat ?

Here's the new WIP :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Auberge du guet av plan 3.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	10.17 MB 
ID:	104894

They look much better

If you haven't merged the lines with the green, they might look even better if the black/dark green is just a tad less contrasty with the lighter parts... I think. At the moment there's far more contrast in the pine needle texture than there is between the tiles on the roofs and the cracks between them, or in the thickness of the lines defining each of the stones of the ruined walls. Maybe use a mixture of oranges and not quite such dark greens instead of the black in those trees? (a dull orange like the cones and bark).

(If I'm getting annoying just slap me!)

They look much better

If you haven't merged the lines with the green, they might look even better if the black/dark green is just a tad less contrasty with the lighter parts... I think. At the moment there's far more contrast in the pine needle texture than there is between the tiles on the roofs and the cracks between them, or in the thickness of the lines defining each of the stones of the ruined walls. Maybe use a mixture of oranges and not quite such dark greens instead of the black in those trees? (a dull orange like the cones and bark).

(If I'm getting annoying just slap me!)
    Thanks again for your comments and for your help !
    As I had to merge the trees layers, I could not work on those as suggested. I tried to diminish the contrast between the sunny side and the shadows, without losing too much of their colors (but they were very bright anyway....) Tell me if it's better ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Auberge du guet av plan 4.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	10.19 MB 
ID:	104943

Much better

Dimming down those very bright greens has worked wonders

The textures you added to the cliff and grass are really doing their job. Bravo !

An interesting thread Jo. Nice to see all the step you did to develop this.
    Cheers.

Much better

Dimming down those very bright greens has worked wonders
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    The textures you added to the cliff and grass are really doing their job. Bravo !
    Quote Originally Posted by Warlin View Post
    An interesting thread Jo. Nice to see all the step you did to develop this.
    Cheers.
    Thanks a lot ! I think I'll stop this one here... I know there's a lot I can do better, but after more than one year, it's time to move on...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345