Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Nubian Kings

Just testing some line weights comments welcomeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	11_23_CityJabiLINE_WT_test.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	89666

I love these nested(?) compounds of houses beside the temple area. Great job! The lineweight seems fine to me. Only three of the pyramids detached themselves from their shadows and started to float away Really looking forward to the next uploads...
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

This is looking really great snodsy. I wouldn't have noticed the hovering pyramids if Abu hadn't mentioned them as I was ogling the rest of the details, but yes I do see them as trying to escape.

Thanks for that catch Abu on the shadow, I have those elevated so when I add the mountain, they sit on a slightly raised plateau up the mountain, I'll have to remember to erase it when I bring it into Photoshop to start drawing, which looks like another week off at this rate. It's been fun doing the nested compounds, although alot may go unnoticed, but oh well, helps learning sketchup better by doing the details. Thanks for the comments guys.

Wow great work snodsy! Can't wait to see what this looks like when it's finished.

-Dan

Great work with sketchup snodsy !

By Snodsy
    Fun is such a relative word fun at times, frustrating at times, but trying it in sketchup will benefit me learning sketchup. I thought you had done Seyasade map in Sketchup? That turned out really well. The Fairy Lutece was in sketchup too?? These were inspirations for me to try this technique, along with a few others who have done maps this way.

Here is a wider view of the perimeters of the city, back wall is just a placeholder for the mountain. Lots of buildings still to add, I plan on doing the trees, fields and mountain in Photoshop.

To your point Ilanthar, hopefully it doesn't turn out a big mess, we'll see. I save the SketchUp file as EXPORT 2D graphic as a JPEG and click the OPTION button to set the PPI at 300, that's what the attached is saved as (although) at this point not EDGES ONLY. I will save two files - EDGES ONLY and SHADOWS, that's how I did the Test one. I would hate to do all this work and it turn out poorly, so I may test this a little more before moving full steam ahead.
    I agree, it's often fun and frustrating to use Sketchup. I did Seyazade in SK, but not Fairy lutece. This last one was drawn with my good old PSP7 (I didn't have a tablet at that time).
    Thanks a lot for the explanations. I suspected you used different exported views, but it will definitely help me when I'll do some other tests for Argona.

Now, this is just looking excellent and give me the itch to return to SK again. I'm always hesiting about the columns/domes/round chimneys, I mean I never know if its better to make the lines invisible or not. On your present work, I think the columns would be better with a a line on each side. But I suppose you could do this in the end, when you've chosen your view(s).

I actually have the column lines drawn but they don't show when I choose edges, I can click profiles but it makes every line heavier, same with the dome cap, I guess I'll have to put them in on photoshop, thanks for the comments

This may, or may not, be of interest to you snodsy. A 5,000 year old city discovered in upper Egypt:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-38084391

Really interresting subject and great rendering!
    Are you planning on creating the city at a given date in history ? Because some buildings may have not been present at the same time. Well I'm sure you already did plenty of research on the subject, but this is something important according to me so I had to ask you
    Anyway I love the idea and I can't wait to see the final city

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast